The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   bearing or half shaft? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41956)

lilbrudder 11-19-2007 06:43 PM

bearing or half shaft?

ok, this car is damned! on my way to get new u-joints put in the main driveshaft i started to hear a clicking from the passengers front tire. after the u-joints were fixed i was on my way home and the clicking turned into a groaning then click. when i got home i noticed the axle nut was not fully tight so i tightened, now the groaning click is louder and pretty much constant(it's very loud). i don't really feel any binding so i'm kinda leaning toward the bearing, but maybe it could be the axle. so i don't know, what do you guys think? this car is killing me, it sems pointless to have a car that something breaks litteraly every time i drive it! :mad:

lhopp77 11-20-2007 08:46 AM

Both?

With your explanation, I suspect you have both a bad bearing AND axleshaft. A properly torqued axlenut is essential for bearing life. The clicking of course points to the axleshaft and the "groaning" more than likely--the bearing. Did you torque the axlenut to proper specs and if so--do you still have a "groaning" or roar?

I am not a highly qualified technical mechanic but do have considerable personal experience with both of your problem areas. :o

Lee

PS--I just had to comment here as I am from the OLDER Las Vegas. :p

lilbrudder 11-20-2007 11:37 PM

oh, good l.v.ers helping l.v.ers, that's what i'm talkin' about. however that was a whole lot of bad news. well, i'm not sure if that one was torqued right, it was the only bearing i have not replaced in the last 8 months(or ever actually), i'm assuming it was not, being that it came lose. anyway i did tighten in up but the groaning got worst and more frequent(i was too pissed to noice the clicking). i was hoping the bearings were only bad, and the clicking was them(bearings) floppin' around against each other, do you think that's likely? oh, BTW the groaning wasn't really a roar(compared to bad rear bearings) it was like a heavy duty piece of steel was being pushed to it's limits and could be induced at very slow speeds(walking). is there any way to field test the axle shaft if i remove it? man, this is gonna get ugly again.

Suby Fan 11-21-2007 12:32 PM

By the sound of it your axle needs to be replaced so start with that... seeing that the bearing on the front wheel is a 4.5 hour job

lilbrudder 11-24-2007 10:32 PM

fix!

great advice, i pulled out the half shaft and put an old one in(had an extra layin' around) the sound is gone!! the one i put in isn't in great but it's just temp untill i can get the old one rebuilt. i think the problem axle was defective, it was rebuilt less than 10k ago, the boots are even still good. i've been through a few axles but they have never sounded that bad all of a sudden. thanks for the help guys.