The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   iPod for stock radio adapters (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62300)

B 4 You 11-19-2013 03:03 PM

Auxiliary port for stock radio

So, I just bought a new head unit and will be putting it in shortly. I had (with the help of a friend) made a DIY connector to the rear of the cassette deck (where the CD player would go) that had a direct plug to my iPod. I just pressed a button and plugged my iPhone in and the stereo thought it was simply the CD player. Would anyone be interested in buying one? If enough people want them, I'll be more than happy to make them for just what they cost plus a few bucks of my time. Anyone interested?

intelisevil 11-19-2013 04:24 PM

Re: iPod for stock radio adapters

More info please. You have a 92 LS so I'm guessing you didn't have the original CD player installed?

I do have the stock CD player. Could your adapter be made to work without deleting the CD player?

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

B 4 You 11-19-2013 04:30 PM

You would have to unplug the CD player. I could work on a switch in order to go back and fourth, but mine didn't have the CD player. Plus, it doesn't play mp3 CD's, so you're better off with an iPod anyway! It would plug in right where the stock CD player does.

Sean486 11-19-2013 04:32 PM

I would definitely be interested in one.

B 4 You 11-19-2013 04:40 PM

If I can get 10 people that will buy them, I'll get started on it right away. It would probably cost under $15 shipped, which is a much better alternative to those ugly new head units. Sounds a MILLION times better than the cassette adapters

intelisevil 11-19-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 729886)
You would have to unplug the CD player. I could work on a switch in order to go back and fourth, but mine didn't have the CD player. Plus, it doesn't play mp3 CD's, so you're better off with an iPod anyway! It would plug in right where the stock CD player does.

I listen to a lot of audio books on CD so I really don't want to delete my CD player. I'd be interested if you could rig one up with a switch!

I think there would be others interested in a switchable version also.

Dan

B 4 You 11-19-2013 05:02 PM

I'll definitely see what I can do :)

theflystyle 11-19-2013 05:19 PM

I would be interested.

Abyss 11-20-2013 06:13 AM

Is it an iPod specific plug or a generic audio device plug? If it's the latter, mark me down as interested as well.

Landshark 11-20-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil (Post 729889)
I listen to a lot of audio books on CD so I really don't want to delete my CD player. I'd be interested if you could rig one up with a switch!

I think there would be others interested in a switchable version also.

Dan

do you know how many audio books you can fit on an iPod? ;)

Sean486 11-20-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 729906)
do you know how many audio books you can fit on an iPod? ;)

I think the majority people who listen to audiobooks are checking them out of the library, not downloading them to the iPod. Why buy somthing that you only use once. Sooner or later the librarys will digitize their collections but in my area it is still CD.

ShaneHobson 11-20-2013 10:17 AM

I'm keen on an adapter

WhatIsThisIDont 11-20-2013 10:25 AM

If it is just a regular Auxiliary cable input, count me in.

Landshark 11-20-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 729907)
I think the majority people who listen to audiobooks are checking them out of the library, not downloading them to the iPod. Why buy somthing that you only use once. Sooner or later the librarys will digitize their collections but in my area it is still CD.

You know its possible to rip a CD to digital format, right?

B 4 You 11-20-2013 01:40 PM

It would deb a standard 3.5mm jack. Using mine, I bought a USB charger for my cigarette lighter port. I have a cord that is iPhone on one end, then 3.5mm and usb on the other. I can charge and listen at the same time on a 22 year old cassette deck :p