The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Headlight issue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61244)

92NJSVX 01-28-2013 08:04 PM

Headlight issue

OK, I now have an issue when the headlights are on. While driving the car or at a stop the headlights now go brighter then dim. They do it several times. I have my meter plugged into the outlet and it flashes in the 14volt range when the light go brighter. It also makes the dash go brighter as well.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Adam

dcarrb 01-29-2013 06:07 AM

Re: Headlight issue

One of mine does this, to a degree. I can even hear the pitch of the climate control blower change in time to the blinking of the turn signals. Never had a problem with premature battery failure nor any other electrical issues, so I consider it another facet of old car character.

dcb

Sean486 01-29-2013 06:22 AM

My headlights and dash lights did this for a few month on the '95 I used to own. One day the car broke down and the alternator needed to be replaced. After replacing the alternator the dimming surging of the lights went away. You may want to have your alternator tested.

92NJSVX 01-30-2013 07:29 AM

This is killing me. I replaced the Alt twice already. The last one would not charge and if this one is going. AAARRRGGGG. Need to bite the bullet and just go for the upgraded Alt. I have the wires to do the wire upgrade. Just need the time to do it. Need to keep my baby running!

dbarnblatt 01-30-2013 09:08 AM

Maybe a ground or a short somewhere with the headlights or related circuits.

Do you have the problem with the headlights turned off?

Is the battery good?

Did you read the voltage output directly at the alternator? Also see if there is a voltage drop from the alt. to the battery.

icingdeath88 01-30-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92NJSVX (Post 719286)
This is killing me. I replaced the Alt twice already. The last one would not charge and if this one is going. AAARRRGGGG. Need to bite the bullet and just go for the upgraded Alt. I have the wires to do the wire upgrade. Just need the time to do it. Need to keep my baby running!

Where did you source the replacement alternators? A lot of alternator refurbs fail prematurely.

SVX_MY_BABY 01-31-2013 08:23 AM

WAAAAAY back there was a technical service bulletin on the 92's about re wiring some circuit just under the steering column to address this type of issue. I can't recall the details but it had something to do with lights dimming when full load was on the system. The dash etc would dim in sympathy with the wiper pulses. Just a thought.

dragoontwo 01-31-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 719323)
WAAAAAY back there was a technical service bulletin on the 92's about re wiring some circuit just under the steering column to address this type of issue. I can't recall the details but it had something to do with lights dimming when full load was on the system. The dash etc would dim in sympathy with the wiper pulses. Just a thought.

I would be quite interested in this.

svxcess 01-31-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 719291)
A lot of alternator refurbs fail prematurely.

Except those from Maniac Electric Motors. Best in the business

972-557-5768
Talk to Christian

92NJSVX 02-01-2013 09:28 PM

I would like to know the circuit that needed to be replaced. If there is any info out that that anyone has. Please pass it this way.
The alt is a rebuild from Advanced Auto. Had one already go bad after 6 months. Maybe this one is just as bad.
The issue comes and goes. The funny thing is that its fine in the morning. Only seams bad when I go home. Its only noticeable when the headlights are on. They will pulsate. As the lights are on they will brighten then go back to normal.