The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Erratic Idle Issue Solved! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55082)

elemgee 07-20-2010 05:53 PM

Erratic Idle Issue Solved!

I wrote in a couple of weeks ago with an erratic idle problem. After removing the intake manifold and replacing the PCV valve and then putting it all back together, my car was idling erratically (between 500 and 750 rpms) to the point where it would turn off. I checked all the hose connections, they looked fine. I rechecked everything, even removed and cleaned the idle adjustment valve. Nothing worked so I took it to a mechanic. They called shortly after I dropped it off and told me that I had leaks at both intake manifold gaskets and they needed to be replaced. I was able to order new ones for $30 and replace them in less than an hour (having now become intimately familiar with removing and reattaching the manifold - the mechanic wanted $450).

Well, that fixed the problem. The car now idles normally. Real happy about this - thought I did something that had caused irrevocable damage to the engine. Thought I'd write back and close the loop on this.

Thanks.

Blacky 07-20-2010 05:58 PM

Re: Erratic Idle Issue Solved!

Ah! Another happy ending. Well done.

sowise 07-20-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sowise (Post 652319)
check to make sure you don't have a leak at your intake. Either vacuum hoses or where you unbolted it at the gasket.

Cool glad you got it fixed but to bad you had to take it to the shop hopefully the maintenance didn't cost too much.

I had figured it would be something to do with the removal of the intake.

Bonestock 07-21-2010 02:58 PM

Let this be a lesson to all... DO NOT REUSE GASKETS! its just not worth the headaches for a few bucks. This is in the top 5 of "repairs" made by owners that I have had to fix.

Sean486 07-21-2010 04:36 PM

No offense intended, but honestly I am surprised that you thought you could reuse the gaskets, and then didn't suspect them when the problems started. (hindsight is 20/20 right)? I am glad that you have fixed now and that it did not turn out to be more serious. :)

elemgee 07-21-2010 07:44 PM

No offense taken. I've never worked on the manifold before so didn't even think about replacing them as I was planning on replacing the PCV valve Now I know.

sowise 07-22-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elemgee (Post 653184)
No offense taken. I've never worked on the manifold before so didn't even think about replacing them as I was planning on replacing the PCV valve Now I know.

Usually depends on how old they are and if they have any kind of compression left. Sometimes if you use a gasket sealant when reinstalling or using old gaskets you can get by for a while but common practice is to replace gaskets.