The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AWD Inoperable - Speed Sensor 2? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52056)

Green1995SVX 10-21-2009 08:08 PM

AWD Inoperable - Speed Sensor 2?

I rarely post technical questions, as normally I only drive my svx about 1000 miles a year and typically don't run into issues.

New high mileage svx = new problems to play with!

My SVX's rear wheels don't appear to be getting any power. The only code I'm getting is for speed sensor 2. Could this cause the issue? Where is speed sensor 2 located?

Mike

oab_au 10-21-2009 09:52 PM

Re: AWD Inoperable - Speed Sensor 2?

If I am not mistaken, it is the one in the front diff.

Harvey.

Green1995SVX 10-21-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 622396)
If I am not mistaken, it is the one in the front diff.

Harvey.

Isn't the one in the front diff the one that drives the speedometer?

oab_au 10-21-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 622397)
Isn't the one in the front diff the one that drives the speedometer?

Yes I think the US model has it there, and yes it drives the speedo.

Harvey.

1986nate 10-21-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 622399)
Yes I think the US model has it there, and yes it drives the speedo.

Harvey.

I thought thats Speed sensor No.1:confused:

oab_au 10-21-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 622401)
I thought thats Speed sensor No.1:confused:

Could well be. In my Euro book the front one is speed sensor 2. No.1 is at the rear of the box.
The US one may be different.

Harvey.

1986nate 10-21-2009 11:05 PM

SVXRide 10-22-2009 07:39 AM

A bad solenoid C tends to be the leading cause of no rear wheel drive...
-Bill

svxistentialist 10-22-2009 10:51 AM

Nate

SS2 is the speed sensor inside the front diff feeding the speedometer for US cars. Harvey is correct. Best not to be adding to confusion here, when enlightenment is what's called for. :p

The US wiring follows the same convention as the Australian wiring. The front sensor is not the same type, and operates in a different position, but it does measure the rotation [or speed, if you like] of the front axle, and is referred to in the diagnostics as SS2.

Joe :)

svxistentialist 10-22-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 622378)
I rarely post technical questions, as normally I only drive my svx about 1000 miles a year and typically don't run into issues.

New high mileage svx = new problems to play with!

My SVX's rear wheels don't appear to be getting any power. The only code I'm getting is for speed sensor 2. Could this cause the issue? Where is speed sensor 2 located?

Mike

Mike

You probably already know this but have you checked whether the 10A fuse is inserted in the fuse box under the hood?

Because if it is, this deactivates the rear clutch and the car becomes 100% FWD. That's Front WD, not Four WD, OK? ;)

People sometimes do this if the car is binding from solenoid C problems like Bill mentioned. If that fuse is in place, which it would normally be only for maintenance or dyno testing, you should have a FWD light on the left of the dash.

Joe

Green1995SVX 10-22-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 622445)
Mike

You probably already know this but have you checked whether the 10A fuse is inserted in the fuse box under the hood?

Because if it is, this deactivates the rear clutch and the car becomes 100% FWD. That's Front WD, not Four WD, OK? ;)

People sometimes do this if the car is binding from solenoid C problems like Bill mentioned. If that fuse is in place, which it would normally be only for maintenance or dyno testing, you should have a FWD light on the left of the dash.

Joe

Joe- That's the first thing I checked.

I will likely replace the solenoid and see if that has any effect. Can I use the solenoid C out of any Subaru 4EAT, or does it have to be from an SVX? I have several parts transmissions at work and this is just for my "beater" svx.

Mike

svxistentialist 10-23-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 622534)
Joe- That's the first thing I checked.

I will likely replace the solenoid and see if that has any effect. Can I use the solenoid C out of any Subaru 4EAT, or does it have to be from an SVX? I have several parts transmissions at work and this is just for my "beater" svx.

Mike

I think it is easy enough to change the C solenoid anyway Mike.

One word of caution! Use a C solenoid from a 92-94 car. We have determined that the later solenoids work in reverse to the early ones, so you need the type that works with the instructions from your TCU.

Joe

Green1995SVX 10-23-2009 11:25 AM

OK. I did some diagnosis today. The Speed Sensor 2 code was based on what the previous owner had told me. I didn't pull the codes until now. I pulled the codes initially from the transmission and got fault codes for both speed sensors and duty solenoid A. I cleared the codes and went for a drive.

First, I observed the output from both speed sensors. They were correct and matching throughout all speeds up to 60mph. The transmission shifts perfectly, but the awd doesn't work.

Upon returning, I checked the codes again. The only one that reappeared was duty solenoid A.

Any thoughts?

svxistentialist 10-23-2009 06:18 PM

Mike

I really don't know. Hopefully either of the Toms might chime in. Duty Solenoid A is the line pressure control solenoid.

By itself this solenoid would not cause you not to have rear wheel drive. At least I think not.

There must be something else amiss.

Joe

Green1995SVX 10-23-2009 06:39 PM

On a hunch, I decided to replace the resistor next to the battery as it is related to solenoid A. I cleared the codes and that code didn't come back. So at present I have no transmission codes. Still no awd.