The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Crisis of Conscience (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44738)

B-Rad 05-12-2008 10:21 AM

Crisis of Conscience

So I'm sitting at work one day and I get volunteered (read, voluntold) to go pick up the three new guys for our shop. I didn't really have a problem with it, since I didn't have much I was working on at the moment anyway.

Miraculously I managed to fit three Marines in full Service Alpha uniform into my car plus me driving, and to my surprise no one ripped or tore anything getting in or out of my SVX. Also to my surprise, one of them actually knew what an SVX is!

A few days later, he asks me if I'd be interested in trading my SVX. I immediately dismissed the idea in my head, thinking it'd take something amazing to replace my beauty, but I humored him and asked what he had. He replies "six speed 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK320 with 25,000 miles." I didn't know what it was at the time, I assumed some 4-door Benzo sedan, but he continued to explain the SLK320 is a 2-door 2-seater hard-top convertable coupe, and he's in need of a "Family car" for his wife, infant, and dog.

I read up on the SLK320 and it looks amazing. I've had my SVX for close to 7 years now and it was my first car, but I think this trade would be in my best interest. The private party Blue Book value alone is three times that of my SVX in it's considerably good condition. But I like to consider myself a nice guy. I'd feel bad knowing the SVX is indeed NOT a great family car, and he'd be better off using the Mercedes to get a more suitable family vehicle (though he did mention he has two other nice vehicles... which raises my suspicions a bit. but at the same time, he said he got the Mercedes for $5,000 because his uncle worked at a Mercedes lot and got him a hefty discount, which again raises some suspicions...) Either way though, he'd only be out his $5,000, which is about what I'd get for my SVX (Blue book said $5,800 fair condition, $6,700 excellent condition)

I've yet to actually see the car, since it's in his home-town, but I may be able to make a quick road trip to see it this Memorial Day weekend. My three biggest concerns are: 1.) it's true condition, mechanically and cosmetically, 2.) the dreaded repair costs if and when something does go wrong, and 3.) whether it's as comfortable a ride as my SVX.

What do you guys think? Any good pointers you can give me in this?

A friend of mine said take the Mercedes or he'd pummel me for passing up on a Mercedes... And that you only learn things in life the hard way. :p

It's Just Eric 05-12-2008 10:47 AM

Ill sell you this sweet rolex for 20$

Wikedjuggalo 05-12-2008 11:56 AM

Don't do it. Check condition but you will always miss your SVX :(. I see many Benz around. Still only worth what 13k if in perfect condition how much is your svx worth to you :).

TomsSVX 05-12-2008 01:00 PM

I'd trade an SVX for that benz anytime... Then again I have plenty at my disposal:lol: Think about it first, make sure you are 100% on your decision... If it were me, I would do it... Then again im not afraid of repair costs.

Tom

B-Rad 05-12-2008 01:32 PM

I really appreciate your input, guys. As of now, without seeing the car yet, I'm pretty close to certain that I'll be trading for it.

Sadly to say, I'm getting bored with my SVX. Plus I'd really like a manual for a change.

RSVX 05-12-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Rad (Post 547120)
I really appreciate your input, guys. As of now, without seeing the car yet, I'm pretty close to certain that I'll be trading for it.

Sadly to say, I'm getting bored with my SVX. Plus I'd really like a manual for a change.

Easy, put a manual in your SVX. Probably will still cost less than parts for that beast.

RSVX 05-12-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Rad (Post 547092)
So I'm sitting at work one day and I get volunteered (read, voluntold)

Funny thing about the military...

I remember in my early days there was the OWC(Officer's Wives Club, now known as the Officer's Spouses Club) Bazaar one weekend, and they needed help guiding cars for parking, security, etc...

I was told, "We can't tell you to do this, but it's 'Highly reccomended' and will reflect on your review"...

Voluntold...:lol:

Weebitob 05-14-2008 05:20 PM

Never trust strangers with candy

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 547099)
Ill sell you this sweet rolex for 20$

I second that motion, if he truely is selling you his nice condition 2k5 Benz there shouldn't be a problem with doing a quick search here by zipcode then to ask for the VIN to run a Carfacts check and one with law enforcement. Also, if you do ahead with the deal, before its finalized take it to repair shop for a full checkup.

After all of that you can also check it out yourself for surprises in the trunk and other compartments, never go against your own judgement in these situations. Of course you get also let this person know about this website so he registers and we can help you judge. ;)

odepaj 05-14-2008 07:05 PM

Trade and then sell FTW :lol:

Subix 05-14-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj (Post 547525)
Trade and then sell FTW :lol:

....and buy TWO SVXs to replace your other one! ;)