The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Shift Resistor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11347)

wynndi 06-13-2003 04:32 PM

Transmission Shift Resistor

Today I disconnected the transmission resistor behind the battery on my 1996. I DEFINITLY like the way it shifts now, very crisp instead of deliberate.

Has anyone found a downside to doing this? I'm sure the Subaru engineers had a reason for putting the resistor there, but it is much "sportier" without.

svx_commuter 06-13-2003 08:30 PM

Search, search search away.:) This is a topic with a lot of threads. Some very recent :) by Lee (FL), that has come with a great mod.

immortal_suby 06-13-2003 08:32 PM

Only downside I saw is a hunting for gears on deceleration if you select 3rd or 2nd. This was solved by smallcars shift kit - best of both worlds. No problem if you leave it in drive all the time.

6evil9 06-18-2003 12:12 AM

sounds interesting

can u guys provide more details about that modification?

what does that resistor do and what is gonna be without it

and where bouts is it? ;)

THX :D

immortal_suby 06-18-2003 04:20 PM

It is mounted next to the battery. Unplugging it provides full line pressure to the transmission so you dont get the slippage during shifts. It is a great mod but will cause the power light to blink on startup and a hunting for gears on deceleration if you have the shift selector in 3 or 2. It is fine if you drive all the time in D. A couple people have pictures of the resistor in their locker if you have trouble finding it.

Mr. Pockets 06-18-2003 05:18 PM

I unplugged the resistor in my car and I did not like the results. Sure, there's less slipping, but the jolting has got to be harder on the drivetrain.

I do want to try the 'shift kit' from Small Car, because that seems to be the best solution - smooth shifts at low throttle and firmer shifts when you get your foot in it.

lamboman1pa 06-19-2003 12:42 AM

Did the same thing on my 96. I did like the way it shifted but. after a few days the AT Temp light started it's 16 blink syndome.

The 96 doesn't have a power light to blink. That was annoying and I didn't know if bad things were happening so I reconnected the resistor.

John

96 SVX Polo Green

97 Outback Sport

Oh yeh and my other car

LarryIII 06-19-2003 04:39 AM

The transistor died on my '92 this past winter so I unplugged it. I drove around with it unplugged for about a month during winter. The forward- reverse shift was jolting when the car was cold. Once the car warmed up the shifts were very crisp. However I did not like the way it shifted in stop and go driving which is every night coming home from work. So I finally bought a new resistor and put it in. The tranny now works fine again.

ensteele 06-19-2003 09:41 AM

Larry

So it really wasn't the tranny that was bad, just the resistor? :)