The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   infamous 5MT low idle stall (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19205)

mbtoloczko 06-10-2004 12:07 PM

infamous 5MT low idle stall

After the 5MT swap, my car was stalling occasionally when I would push in the clutch when bringing the car to a stop or pulling into a driveway, etc. I was hoping the ECU would sort itself out and the stalls would cease, but it didn't happen. Then, I was hoping that when I rewired the ECU input to make the car think it was in neutral, that would fix the problem. It hasn't though. I've been looking through the threads here, and it appears that everyone with a 5MT has the same stalling problem. Anyone found a fix?

svxsubaru1 06-10-2004 12:16 PM

I never had had the probelm, and iam using the NSS to let it run right now. My car does idle at around 500 rpms tho, right on very bottom bar on the tach.

SVXer95 06-10-2004 12:26 PM

I still have the 4eat, but I have a similar issue that may or may not be related. Possibly if we figure out one it will be the answer for the other.

When I put my car in park with it idling, and move the selector toward reverse without using the brake or pushing the shift button, the car goes into a high idle. After letting go, it tries to stall. I understand why it would idle high while doing that, but I don't get why it tries to stall. Sometimes it stalls (very rarely) and most of the time the rpms just dip way down without stalling.

Perhaps the two are related and it is not a MT thing. Possibly a computer related issue like you thought.

deruvian 06-10-2004 12:33 PM

Perhaps you should consider raising the idle RPMs. Let's be realistic, eh? The SVX engine is still smooth and quiet at, say, 900 RPM. That factory default of 610 is a little conservative just for the purpose of keeping things quiet in the car.

You've got a Stebro anyways, Mychailo. :D

I believe I once remember NikFu mentioning that he has raised his idle RPMs to about 900 - 1000. I don't remember how though.

mbtoloczko 06-10-2004 01:19 PM

It seems that there is no idle adjustment. The idea of adjusting the idle has been tossed around quite a bit in the forums, but the consensus is that the ECU sets the idle, and there's no way to adjust it. Its too bad because it sits right at 600 rpm now, and if I could get it up to 800 rpm, that would solve the problem.

BLKSVX92 06-10-2004 01:44 PM

mine also does this. It has happened while turning(scary) and other times. However, it is not consistent, it doesn't happen all the time, it seems to happen only when it wants to.

Chiketkd 06-10-2004 02:09 PM

Mychailo, have you ever posed the question of idle adjustment to red95svx? He might know (or could ask one of the mechanics at his dealership) how to adjust the idle on the SVX, and if not he could send a request to Subaru of America...

Just a thought.

-Chike

P.S. On most manual cars (like my old '90 300ZX TT and '95 Camaro) there is an idler adjustment screw near to the throttle body that can be adjusted with a screw driver. Automatics are probably different though (as all SVX's started out this way)...
Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
It seems that there is no idle adjustment. The idea of adjusting the idle has been tossed around quite a bit in the forums, but the consensus is that the ECU sets the idle, and there's no way to adjust it. Its too bad because it sits right at 600 rpm now, and if I could get it up to 800 rpm, that would solve the problem.

Green1995SVX 06-10-2004 02:14 PM

I havent experianced this condition.

mbtoloczko 06-10-2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I havent experianced this condition.
Cool. That means I should be able to stop it from happening on my car. I guess I'll have to clean the throttle body again and clean the IAC.

Phast SVX 06-10-2004 06:18 PM

i havnt experienced any stalling either? sorry:confused:

BLKSVX92 06-10-2004 06:46 PM

I'm curious if it has to do with the trannies that we are swapping

I have an 02 wrx tranny and it happens to me

SVXer95 06-10-2004 06:48 PM

Or more importantly the clutch type of the trannies that are being used? (push/pull)

svxpert 06-10-2004 08:38 PM

sorry

I havent experianced this condition, either.

mbtoloczko 06-11-2004 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
Or more importantly the clutch type of the trannies that are being used? (push/pull)
I don't think its due to any sort of clutch drag. Sometimes, the revs decrease so quickly, the rpms pass quickly below 600 rpm, and the ecu can't react quickly enough to bring the revs back up, and the motor just stops spinning. I think it may be partially due to the 13 lb flywheel.

Chiketkd 06-11-2004 07:47 AM

That's a good point. Lightened flywheels will do that...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I think it may be partially due to the 13 lb flywheel.