The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are Timing Belt Covers necessary? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55655)

skylimey 10-05-2010 11:17 AM

Are Timing Belt Covers necessary?

Hi,

I've been driving around in my latest SVX for a while now, but one of my wife's mechanics noticed the timing belt covers aren't on (I knew that), and told her that without the covers, in the rain(!) the belts could come off.

So now she's worried I'm going to crash and burn in the next rain storm, and demand I check with people that really know. Since the people here are the ones that know, I'd appreciate knowing if it's ok to drive around without a timing belt cover.

Thanks
Martin

ZMan 10-05-2010 11:40 AM

Re: Are Timing Belt Covers necessary?

The engine is a non-interference type, so if the belt comes off the engine just stops with no damage to it.

Running it without the covers isn't the greatest idea, as any foreign matter - leaves, twigs, paper, etc.that finds it's way in there could dislodge the belt.
Water may do it as well.

You will have a better chance of it if the bottom engine cover is on, but why chance it at all? Seems like just a matter of time before it happens. - Ed

kwren 10-05-2010 12:11 PM

I would classify them as "necessary"

Keith:cool:

SoCal LS-L 10-05-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 659491)
I would classify them as "necessary"

agreed.....

gbianchi 10-05-2010 12:21 PM

not svx but I been running a legacy w/out covers for more than a year in snow rain woods gravel grass leaves sticks and off road w/out a single hicup, but it is a gamble they are there for a reason. Rain should be no problem.....................G

davew833 10-05-2010 06:51 PM

Seems like a lot of the Suby off-roaders over on USMB run without covers. They also like to brag about being able to change a timing belt on the side of the road in about 30 minutes. I guess having no covers would make it easier/faster.

immortal_suby 10-05-2010 07:37 PM

I think benebob or another one of those crazy pennsyltuckians used to run around without timing belts with no issues. Seem to remember that coming up in a thread a while back.

I wouldn't do it for fear of gravel or something getting in there. But I believe people do it without issue.

edit: found it. But I think this may be their race car. 2005! And I thought my memory was poor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 305995)
It pumps like a mother on the start position (but doesn't while the key is on, on and it isn't running). I'm assuming that is correct. Timing belt looks lined up but I didn't count teeth (gotta love not having a cover there to verify that aspect).

skylimey 10-05-2010 08:03 PM

Thanks y'all.

Next time it gets worked on I'll put the cover back on.

Martin

Hocrest 10-05-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 659525)
I think benebob or another one of those crazy pennsyltuckians used to run around without timing belts with no issues. Seem to remember that coming up in a thread a while back.

I wouldn't do it for fear of gravel or something getting in there. But I believe people do it without issue.

edit: found it. But I think this may be their race car. 2005! And I thought my memory was poor.

He left them off of his car as well.

I haven't had them on my car for about 2 years now. The only problem was last winter, I just got my snow tires and decided to play :rolleyes: Went through a "top of the bumper" parking lot with fresh powder at over 40 mph... Snow packed everywhere in the engine bay and knocked the belts off.

If I would have had the belly pan on, I'm pretty sure I would have been fine. This winter I'm putting the belly pan on ;)

I'm also naked on the XT6 and Legacy...

svxfiles 10-05-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 659525)

Whats a timing belt cover?:confused:
BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, snort!

Crazy_pilot 10-05-2010 09:37 PM

:lol: I would place the timing cover in the "Not strictly necessary, but a really good idea" category. Like shock absorbers. Can you drive without shocks? Absolutely. Is it a good idea? Not so much.

kwren 10-05-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 659536)
Whats a timing belt cover?:confused:
BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, snort!

It is like a car cover only smaller and made out of thicker stuff!

ensteele 10-05-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 659537)
:lol: I would place the timing cover in the "Not strictly necessary, but a really good idea" category. Like shock absorbers. Can you drive without shocks? Absolutely. Is it a good idea? Not so much.

+1 :) :) :)

svxfiles 10-06-2010 05:05 AM

OK, for a regular SVX you should have the timing covers on.:rolleyes:
They will help to keep out rocks and such so that your timing belt does not jump.
On the other hand if it is in the way of your blower drive you might drive without it for, what, is it seven years now?:p