The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   transmissions suck. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36331)

intellibomb 11-30-2006 11:21 AM

transmissions suck.

man, i never thought it would happen.

i bought my svx with a solid trans and it is the best and nicest car i've ever owned, and definitely one of the best driving cars ever too.

BUT
THE DAMN TRANSMISSION!

it has been out for 4 months now, and im without work. this sucks.

so it sits, in my driveway, daunting me with it's beautiful lines and badass stance.

every couple days i go and idle her up to temp to keep the seals and engine solid... but ****. the local wrecker has a trans for 1300(!), or i could get one for less without a warranty. or i could buy a whole new car for 2500,
or i could go 5/6spd for that price.

decisions!
not to mention i am a poor college student who lives real real real real far from anything, so im fuct.

enough about me, but my svx is in need of love.
i'm pretty close to saving the loot needed, and until then my svx sits in sorrow

mikecg 11-30-2006 11:47 AM

Replace with manual or Level 10 tranny and rest easy that it will last. Both have an inital high cost, but over the long run could save you $ and frustation.

NeedForSpeed 11-30-2006 11:54 AM

What 'them thar hills' are you in? Someone could help if it were known where to send help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intellibomb

i bought my svx with a solid trans and it is the best and nicest car i've ever owned, and definitely one of the best driving cars ever too.

BUT
THE DAMN TRANSMISSION!

so it sits, in my driveway, daunting me with it's beautiful lines and badass stance.

every couple days i go and idle her up to temp to keep the seals and engine solid... but ****. the local wrecker has a trans for 1300(!), or i could get one for less without a warranty. or i could buy a whole new car for 2500,

decisions!
not to mention i am a poor college student who lives real real real real far from anything, so im fuct.

i'm pretty close to saving the loot needed, and until then my svx sits in sorrow

Budfreak 11-30-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intellibomb

BUT
THE DAMN TRANSMISSION!

decisions!

I can do 4.11 or 4.44 auto for $950-$1,050 installed. Where are you located in them hills?

TomsSVX 11-30-2006 03:52 PM

I still have ur 5mt kit on hold... As soon as I get my vice and get rid of this Honda:rolleyes: I will get to it

Tom

mikecg 12-01-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I still have ur 5mt kit on hold... As soon as I get my vice and get rid of this Honda:rolleyes: I will get to it

Tom

What the HeII are you doing with a Honda??

GreenMarine 12-01-2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg
Replace with manual or Level 10 tranny and rest easy that it will last. Both have an inital high cost, but over the long run could save you $ and frustation.

Depending on how you drive the manual... But I think I am right in saying that an SVX 5 speed conversion has never broken a tranny before... Is that correct?? I know I was worried about it in the beginning, but not so much anymore. I Autocross my car Alot and have quite a few "agressive" launches and nothing has happened yet... Shifting feels alittle sloppier now but that is probably the bushings wearing out...

There is a trick to launching the 5MT that I must share, simply because it is funny the way I describe it :D

If you want a good strong launch out of the 5MT and don't want to break anything follow these easy steps...
1.) Rev the engine to around 4,000rpm...
2.) Ease out of the clutch till you can feel it take the slack out of the driveline...
3.) With the slack taken out, come out of the clutch pedal as if you just stepped in a burning file of dog crap and at the same time weld your right foot to the floor :D...

As long as your clutch is still good, that will do it for ya.

Have fun with it!! :D

TomsSVX 12-01-2006 07:36 AM

subafreak was on his way through his 2nd 5mt when he opted to go for the 6mt swap...

I had eaten 2 imprezza trannies before I sold my ebony...with the 3rd trans installed

Huck's old car needs a new transmission badly for the last 2 years.... dunno who else but no one else treats their car's like Jesse and I do:p

Tom

SomethingElse 12-01-2006 10:38 PM

dude the 4.44 is the way to go. if you get high milage stuff you can skate out for about 400 - 500 bux if you do the work.

Earthworm 12-06-2006 12:22 PM

I'm biased but I would highly recommend a 5spd. As long as you're not crazy with it it should be the last transmission you'll ever need.