The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2 Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31534)

dwd1985 02-14-2006 11:25 AM

2 Questions

I have 2 questions that have both been partially answered by the search button, but not totally.

First question is about the Z32 MAF. I know it can read a higher horsepower then a stock SVX MAF, but is it a direct swap onto an SVX, or does it need to be modified? Also, would it do anything for an SVX with no speed modifications? Like, if someones MAF was bad, could they just as easily replace their stock one with a Z32?

Second Question is, what other stock rims will fit the SVX? I know Mazda RX-7 rims will fit, and so will Ford Probe wheels, and I thought there was something about some Lexus wheels fitting too, but are there other rims from stock cars that will fit?

AFBeefcake 02-14-2006 11:37 AM

To use a Z32 MAF in any SVX you need ECUTUNE stage 2.

Earthworm 02-14-2006 12:04 PM

What about the physical install? Does it just bolt right in?

svxistentialist 02-14-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

Physically it is the same size, it will just bolt in.

However, the wiring connector is not the same as that used for the SVX, and you have to change that.

Joe

Speedklix 02-14-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
To use a Z32 MAF in any SVX you need ECUTUNE stage 2.

I'm considering this upgrade myself right now. For you DWD it might not be worth it. Your gonna end up paying over $500 most likely and you need to be mech/tech inclined enough to pull out the ECU and replace a chip. You also need to splice a nissan MAF connector into the MAF wiring harness.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but for someone who isn't interested in performance gains, it just seems like alot of dough to replace a bad maf. Now I don't know this from personal experience, but I have read that the maf type is the last three numbers at the top on back of the MAF. I think they're R62. You should be able to find one in a newer subaru in a salvage yard for a fraction of the price. I may be wrong, so hopefully someone will affirm or correct this.

I am going to purchase ECU Stage 2v5 sometime before summer because I believe it is a good modification for the car even if it is otherwise stock, but I don't think it is a good idea to attempt it on your own with limited knowledge when you just want to fix your MAF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

I'm pretty sure it is the same exact housing, just a different plug and guts.
You'll still need to splice the nissan connector in, that seems like the only mod needed other than the chip install.

thundering02 02-14-2006 12:30 PM

Legacy's and such from the 90's at least use a R60 (ours is R62) It will bolt on and it will work but it seem slighlty limited higher in the revs and I get the ocaisional weird feeling shift if i'm just cruising.

dwd1985 02-14-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix
For you DWD it might not be worth it. Your gonna end up paying over $500 most likely and you need to be mech/tech inclined enough to pull out the ECU and replace a chip. You also need to splice a nissan MAF connector into the MAF wiring harness.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but for someone who isn't interested in performance gains, it just seems like alot of dough to replace a bad maf. Now I don't know this from personal experience, but I have read that the maf type is the last three numbers at the top on back of the MAF. I think they're R62. You should be able to find one in a newer subaru in a salvage yard for a fraction of the price. I may be wrong, so hopefully someone will affirm or correct this.

My MAF isnt bad, and I wasnt considering doing this, I just was curious. But I have pulled the ECU before to crush the sound sensor bead (turned out I didnt have it at all) But in the future I am planning some of the ECU tune chips, and I dont see that it would be terribly hard to install one myself, and splice in a Z32 MAF.

immortal_suby 02-14-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985
My MAF isnt bad, and I wasnt considering doing this, I just was curious. But I have pulled the ECU before to crush the sound sensor bead (turned out I didnt have it at all) But in the future I am planning some of the ECU tune chips, and I dont see that it would be terribly hard to install one myself, and splice in a Z32 MAF.

Since you are already familair with pulling the ECU I don't think you'd have any problem installing a z32 maf and ecutune chip.
The chip drops right in.
The maf bolts right on.
All you have to do is splice the maf wires in. It's a pretty easy install.

svxxx26 02-14-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985

Second Question is, what other stock rims will fit the SVX? I know Mazda RX-7 rims will fit, and so will Ford Probe wheels, and I thought there was something about some Lexus wheels fitting too, but are there other rims from stock cars that will fit?

Lexus SC430 rims will fit, I'd say a lot of other Lexus rims would fit as well.