The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AWD / Tranny Issue... PLEASE HELP!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2880)

RSVX 02-24-2002 06:05 PM

AWD / Tranny Issue... PLEASE HELP!!

OK, get this my car drives fine, at least for the most part...

When I slow down by simply releasing the gas pedal it sometimes seems to hesitate dropping into lower gear.

Also when I release the gas pedal it makes a rubbing sound, almost like brake pads rubbing, but not squealing. More of a hissing tone, but it sounds like abrasion. The sound it makes is similar to saying shhhh. I have pretty much eliminated the thought that it might be the brakes due to the fact that if I rev the engine just a little (in neutral, when coasting) the sound goes away.

The only other thing I can think of slightly related is that it seems that I have lost AWD... I can easily break free if Im not careful from a full stop.

The tranny is a remanufactured one about 2 years old, and the car is a 93 with 125,000 miles.

I hope I can get an idea of what I am looking at.

huck369 02-25-2002 05:16 AM

Sounds like the braking bands in the tranny need adjusting ( the tranny dosen't have to come out for this)
Cheap fix ...maybe.

svx_commuter 02-25-2002 05:53 AM

I have heard a similar noise in my car when down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1. This could be the brake band adjustment? That would be great. Is this one of those things that if you don't get tightened up it gets worse?

huck369 02-25-2002 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have heard a similar noise in my car when down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1. This could be the brake band adjustment? That would be great. Is this one of those things that if you don't get tightened up it gets worse?
If you're hearing a scrubbing noise opon decelleration, the Braking bands are to tight, and will were them out....Then you would have to tear INTO the tranny, I'd have them adjusted if I thought this was the case.

RSVX 02-25-2002 11:12 AM

Thanks for that info, I will have that looked into.

Any thoughts on the loss of AWD??

Joe 90 02-25-2002 07:31 PM

RSVX,

I lost my AWD over a year ago.... It began with the "rear wheels slow to engage" until the rear wheels completely quit working.

Following the recomendations from SVX_commuter, I had the transfer control valve assembly and the duty solenoid replaced and it work great now!:)

Joe 90

RSVX 02-25-2002 07:35 PM

What did that run you by chance? If you dont mind of course...

SSSVX 02-25-2002 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RSVX
Thanks for that info, I will have that looked into.

Any thoughts on the loss of AWD??

I don't know if this is a good idea for ya. To quickly find out the answer by myself if the AWD works, lift the car up, put to D and see if four wheels spinning. Yes is yes. No is no. Randy said that it may not be good to the awd if you lift it. i lifted it up for a very short while. shouldn't be hurt. if you really lost your awd, guess shouldn't be hurt anything but just to see two front wheels spinning. good luck.

svx_commuter 02-26-2002 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SSSVX

I don't know if this is a good idea for ya. To quickly find out the answer by myself if the AWD works, lift the car up, put to D and see if four wheels spinning. Yes is yes. No is no. Randy said that it may not be good to the awd if you lift it. i lifted it up for a very short while. shouldn't be hurt. if you really lost your awd, guess shouldn't be hurt anything but just to see two front wheels spinning. good luck.

Putting the car up on the lift is a good way to tell if the AWD is working. I have put it up on blocks because I don't have a lift.

Driving without the RWD part of the AWD is not good for the front end drive train. It will over load the front differential and axles and wear them out. The torque steer can be dangerous because it can pull the car off the road.

I replaced the transfer solenoid myself because I am too cheap to pay for all that labor on a $60 part.

RSVX 02-26-2002 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

Putting the car up on the lift is a good way to tell if the AWD is working. I have put it up on blocks because I don't have a lift.

Driving without the RWD part of the AWD is not good for the front end drive train. It will over load the front differential and axles and wear them out. The torque steer can be dangerous because it can pull the car off the road.

I replaced the transfer solenoid myself because I am too cheap to pay for all that labor on a $60 part.

OK, one last annoying question... where is this solenoid, and how does one change it?

Aredubjay 02-26-2002 04:12 PM

Quote:

OK, one last annoying question... where is this solenoid, and how does one change it?

Chris! Do you mean to tell me that you're too cheap to spend money on "Precious?" :D:D:D:D:D

svx_commuter 02-26-2002 04:17 PM

This is okay. Not annoying at all. Put the car up in air so you can get under it. Take off the exhaust, pull the drive shaft and take off the back of the transmission housing. This is where the transfer solenoid is located. If you want more detail I would be happy to advise. It took me about 9 hours to do it with jack stands, cutting old exhaust bolts, cleaning parts, removing old transfer gasket material, assembly and cleaning up.

So I was without my car for about 9 hours. No actually I was with it the whole time. I just could not drive for about 9 hours. I just can stand the thought of having some tranny shop work on it and not have the parts. (Actual it took a tranny shop 5 days just to measure the transfer pressure. Now I can do that also.) So I got more parts than I needed before I started the work.

RSVX 02-26-2002 05:56 PM

I see that you are in North Jersey, I may have to set up a mini 2 car maintenance meet, haha

And no Randy, Im not too cheap, Im in teh military... we are all rich er wait, thats right 75% of the force qualifies for food stamps, and people wonder why I want to get out...

svx_commuter 02-27-2002 06:54 AM

Quote:

I see that you are in North Jersey, I may have to set up a mini 2 car maintenance meet, haha

Okay not a bad idea. I'll help you with the transfer valve and then we can do the timing belt, oil seals and other stuff in mine. Maybe in the spring?

RSVX 02-27-2002 06:58 AM

Im in the air force and have access to a great auto hobby shop with lifts and all... indoors at that... all the tools, and even tech assistance if you want... so if it works out, maybe before reading... if not spring can wait...

I think the lifts run $5 an hour... tools included...