The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot Legs.. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6150)

alacrity024 09-27-2002 12:01 PM

Hot Legs..

Not in that way you buncha perverts :rolleyes:

I've noticed that if I'm driving during the day for any period of time over.. say.. 45 minutes, my legs start to get kinda warm in relation to the rest of my body. Well on a hunch one day I reached down and rested my hand on the transmission tunnel.. Sure enough it was warm to the touch. Should it not be getting warm at all? Just being paranoid

-adam

sfsvx 09-27-2002 12:05 PM

Fairly common occurrence on many vehicles, resulting from design and insulation or lack thereof. I don't think it's anything to worry about if it's what the car normally does. If it's a departure from the norm, it might indicate a problem or just that the driving conditions are different.

My rule of thumb - if you feel heat and smell smoke, bail out.

$VX 09-27-2002 01:25 PM

Man, you should have ridden in my 68 Charger. The performance oriented 383 big block with its dual 2.5" exhaust added a new luxury feature to the car: Heated floorboards. :\ Too bad I never drove it in the winter to enjoy that feature. >shrug<

- Ca$h

DavieGravy 09-27-2002 03:40 PM

Re: Hot Legs..

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
Not in that way you buncha perverts :rolleyes:

I've noticed that if I'm driving during the day for any period of time over.. say.. 45 minutes, my legs start to get kinda warm in relation to the rest of my body. Well on a hunch one day I reached down and rested my hand on the transmission tunnel.. Sure enough it was warm to the touch. Should it not be getting warm at all? Just being paranoid

-adam

The advice you've been given thus far is not applicable to the SVX. Your climate control must be set to lower temperatures at ALL TIMES if you don't wish to feel hot air (In my case, below 75.) Even if it's turned off, it will still blow hot air from underneath.

svxy 09-30-2002 07:10 PM

Pull out your ashtray and really feel the heat.

mohrds 09-30-2002 07:33 PM

Am I the only one who has ever pulled a CD out of the CD Player to have it too hot to hold???

Doug

Earthworm 09-30-2002 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Am I the only one who has ever pulled a CD out of the CD Player to have it too hot to hold???
That must be the reason my stock CD player died. It would work fine when everything was normal temperatures. As soon as everything got warm it would skip, jump all over the CD and sometimes spit them out. I had thought of adding a small computer fan in there to try to keep the area a little cooler but decided to go all out and replace the entire sound system.

(sorry...kinda getting off topic)

Seraph 09-30-2002 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Doug

On my red SVX, right before the tranny died, I can cook eggs on the center console.

As for pulling CD out and even CD players out, you saw what I did today. :D

Lwin

kingbobdole 10-01-2002 10:36 PM

Hi there....
One problem that I was getting in my XT-6 was similar. My legs would get really warm, yet it was like a general heat and not like blowing heat. My problem was the vent door stuck open, and if I shifted my controls to upper and cold before shutting them off, it helped.
~phil

Jamsvx 10-02-2002 12:33 AM

I think there was an earlier thread about hot CD's - mine does it too, especially at night (extra lights = heat???)

And then it skips....aggh!!!

svx_commuter 10-02-2002 05:26 AM

Re: Hot Legs..

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024

-adam [/B]
I think the SVX is one of the coolest floors and trans tunnel I have driven. I think that for how hot the air is outside the car when the engine fan kicks in the inside is very cool. I think that the floor is very well insulated and maybe yours is missing some. Have you taken a look under the carpet? From the above it could also be your tranny. Do you have a trany temperature gauge?

sfsvx 10-04-2002 06:43 AM

Since this original post, I've been paying some attention to whether there's any heat coming off the transmission tunnel in my '92, and there isn't. I've had some other cars that got quite warm, but not this one.

Hope you solved the problem with the climate control, and don't have something really wrong.