The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   weak reverse, possible slip in 1-2 and 3-4 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59600)

Mr. Claret 04-06-2012 09:35 AM

weak reverse, possible slip in 1-2 and 3-4

I have a mid '91 SVX with 172k that I believe is all original. When I got the car the previous owner FLUSHED the transmission instead of doing a fluid EXCHANGE. Shortly after I got it reverse seemed to be getting weak and a few winters ago I got stuck in some pretty deep snow and tried to get out pretty hardcore. Well now reverse only works when the car is cold and the fluid is more viscous.

My question:

Has anyone experienced this and did something that helped, in-a-sense, 'correct' the problem without transmission removal?

Would a heavier weighted fluid cause other issues to the internals of the 4EAT or would it be an okay idea to try? I would also add an additive that some of you know as 'the red bottle' from NAPA. The only issues I can see with a heavier weight is it being unable to properly lubricate in areas of tight tolerances.

Any experienced help or know-how would be much appreciated and THANKS in advance! :cool:

Green1995SVX 04-06-2012 09:39 AM

Re: weak reverse, possible slip in 1-2 and 3-4

Genuinely, it's time for a new transmission. Get used to driving with no reverse, and save up the money for your new trans. I drove a legacy with no reverse for over a year. The challenge is kind of fun!

Mike621 04-06-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 701664)
Genuinely, it's time for a new transmission. Get used to driving with no reverse, and save up the money for your new trans. I drove a legacy with no reverse for over a year. The challenge is kind of fun!

fun   /fʌn/
noun
something that provides mirth or amusement: A picnic would be fun.
enjoyment or playfulness: She's full of fun.
NOT: muttering choice words under your breath while attempting to scoot your 3000lb wagon backwards with one foot, your door only slightly ajar as to not give up the myth to the other patrons at your favorite shop, that you can afford to browse amongst them.

Mr. Claret 04-06-2012 11:01 AM

LMAO I wish the SVXNETWORK had a a 'LIKE' button.

Green1995SVX 04-06-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 701667)
fun   /fʌn/
noun
NOT: muttering choice words under your breath while attempting to scoot your 3000lb wagon backwards with one foot, your door only slightly ajar as to not give up the myth to the other patrons at your favorite shop, that you can afford to browse amongst them.

touché 321

92snowmachine 04-06-2012 11:27 AM

i have had luck with bg310 trans additive, they sell it at napa. when my trans went out while my wife was driving i had it towed to the shop and it wouldn't move at all. put that in and it would move about 20mph. my '56 belvedere didn't have reverse until i put the stuff in. not the best but can help a little. it was not fun for me to not have reverse, the car also has manual steering and manual brakes so pushing it around was terrible. someone always managed to park behind me even when i parked as far away from the store as i could.

1986nate 04-06-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 701667)
fun   /fʌn/
noun

I see your 3000 lbs, and raise you 4000 lbs. I had to do the same thing with my 81 olds. :o

oab_au 04-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Claret (Post 701663)
I have a mid '91 SVX with 172k that I believe is all original. When I got the car the previous owner FLUSHED the transmission instead of doing a fluid EXCHANGE. Shortly after I got it reverse seemed to be getting weak and a few winters ago I got stuck in some pretty deep snow and tried to get out pretty hardcore. Well now reverse only works when the car is cold and the fluid is more viscous.

My question:

Has anyone experienced this and did something that helped, in-a-sense, 'correct' the problem without transmission removal?

Would a heavier weighted fluid cause other issues to the internals of the 4EAT or would it be an okay idea to try? I would also add an additive that some of you know as 'the red bottle' from NAPA. The only issues I can see with a heavier weight is it being unable to properly lubricate in areas of tight tolerances.

Any experienced help or know-how would be much appreciated and THANKS in advance! :cool:

It would be worth pulling the pan to see if the 'flush' got the filter screen blocked, as it sounds like a lack of line pressure.

Harvey.

Mr. Claret 04-11-2012 08:48 AM

Snowmachine - I just might give that a try

Harvey - That is the first thing I am going to do.

Thanks for the help everyone! Always gotta try to get more out of 'er and save some bucks in the process