The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Has anyone E-tested their car after removing the pre-cats? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49518)

Crazy_pilot 03-16-2009 11:40 AM

Has anyone E-tested their car after removing the pre-cats?

Just wondering if anyone has done an e-test/smog test/whatever it's called in your region, on their car after removing the pre-cats and replacing them with something that isn't a catalytic converter (ie: AR20 resonators, glasspacks, straight pipes, etc.) Our engines are reasonably clean burning and I would imagine that a single Magnaflow 2-1 main cat should be enough to pass the testing.

Anyone have any experience/info in this regard?

RoughSilver92 03-16-2009 08:28 PM

Re: Has anyone E-tested their car after removing the pre-cats?

I would have to agree with you. The magnaflow 2into1 should do the job. But that's purely speculation.

It's Just Eric 03-16-2009 09:22 PM

I passed nj state emissions with straight pipes welded where the pre cats were. upon visual inspection they asked what WAS there and I told them I didn't know...Assumed there was a rusted out hole they patched;)

svxcess 03-16-2009 10:38 PM

Harry Newman "newsvx" removed the two pre cats in his 92 pearlie.After fabricating 2" headpipes, he replaced them with Aeroturbine AR20 resonators into a Magnaflow 94007 High-flow cat and had no emission problems or codes that I know of.

I did exactly the same thing on my 96 Polo. New 2" headpipes, AR20 resonators into a Magnaflow 94037 High-flow cat (with third 02 sensor bung)

I kept getting a check engine light for a OBDII code 420, which showed "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold". I assumed the main cat alone was not strong enough to handle the stricter system requirements of OBDII once the pre-cats were removed.

I took off the front AR20s and replaced them with Magnaflow cats and have not had a problem since. Passed emmissions with flying colors and never another CE light.

/.

Crazy_pilot 03-16-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 592445)
I took off the front AR20s and replaced them with Magnaflow cats and have not had a problem since. Passed emmissions with flying colors and never another CE light.

Being OBD1 I'm not worried about the CE light, but that's useful to know. What cats did you end up using? I'd thought about the Magnaflow 50004, but as far as I know it's been discontinued. Summit Racing still lists it on their site, but places I've called no longer stock it.

Edit: A quick search on the Magnaflow site turned up their 2" cat, P/N 54904, which looks like it would be the ideal replacement for the OEM pre-cats. It's the same shape and probably similar dimensions, perhaps a hair longer. I like the offset design because it should allow for maximum ground clearance.