The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Keyless Remote Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37753)

Crysis 03-04-2007 04:03 PM

Keyless Remote Question

My keyless remote just stopped working recently and I have tried replacing the battery, but that didnt work so I seek some help....When i took the remote apart I found a wire that was soddered to a piece of metal, but the other end was not attached to anything. Is the wire suppose to be connected to the circuit board too? If so, what part of the circuit board?

ensteele 03-04-2007 04:18 PM

Can you take a picture of it. By that, we can probably tell you where the wire goes. :)

Chris 03-04-2007 04:42 PM

Its possible that the wire is just part of the antenna. I agree that a picture would assist most in this case.

Crysis 03-05-2007 05:38 PM

Well it seems the wire was just the antenna :/ lol and the problem was that the case was cracked so bad that it wouldnt hit the button anymore....so now i need to find a new case.

JaySVX 03-15-2007 06:03 AM

Someone knows where to get new remotes that work with the cars, but i'm not sure who. If you find htem i'm interested as well.

Nomake Wan 03-15-2007 06:50 AM

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=3 :rolleyes:

Bit expensive though. And I'm guessing that to program the security system one would need two of them... right? I think that's what the manual said... mine didn't come with any remote.:o

JaySVX 03-15-2007 07:23 AM

well it's 35$ to replace the batteries in my remote... it takes 8x 392 button cell batteries, and i have the factory. If anyone knows an alternative battery for it that would be sweet.

HA!
Item#: 8591
List Price: $0.45
Our Price: $7.45
Availability: In-Stock.

kiss my ass, $7 mark-up...

dcarrb 03-15-2007 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX
well it's 35$ to replace the batteries in my remote... it takes 8x 392 button cell batteries, and i have the factory. If anyone knows an alternative battery for it that would be sweet.

Radio Shack, one GP-27A cell. A couple or three bucks, as I recall.

dcb

JaySVX 03-15-2007 07:45 AM

Found. Thanks. I was pretty sure that one existed, having 8 of those batterys taped together couldn't be right. I just couldn't seem to find one that was similar in size.

SVXdc 03-15-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
... And I'm guessing that to program the security system one would need two of them... right? I think that's what the manual said... mine didn't come with any remote.

You only need one. It will work with up to four, possibly five (still looking for verification from someone who's actually done it).

The instructions want you to fill in all of the programming "slots". So if you only have one remote, you'll need to store it four or five times.

The instructions assume you have two remotes, so they tell you to store one remote twice and the other remote three times...

Quote:

Press the button on each remote transmitter twice and
one more time on one of the transmitters: a total of five
(5) times. The electronic control unit must receive five
transmitter codes for the system to operate.
If/when you do get new remotes, see if you can answer any of the questions in this thread:
Questions about programming security system

Nomake Wan 03-15-2007 09:49 AM

Oh, wow! Thanks a bunch, SVXdc!:D

JaySVX 03-15-2007 11:11 AM

Thanks much for info, have been reading up on this. I have about 6 keyless remotes for different make/model cars laying around. i want to attempt to program my car to them, to see if any compatability is there. If so that might be an easy alternative, as the cheapest i can find to buy is 40-50$, while other cars they are more readily available, some times as cheap as 15$.

SVXdc 03-15-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX
I have about 6 keyless remotes for different make/model cars laying around. i want to attempt to program my car to them, to see if any compatability is there.

It's worth a shot, but I'll be surprised if any of them work.

The SVX's module is fairly old -- circa '91. The same SVX remotes work for any model year, so that means the modules kept the same encoding scheme throughout the entire line. I would hope that newer alarms/remotes use a better scheme with more bits.

JaySVX 03-16-2007 05:34 AM

I managed to get mine working, and it works. It just sounds like a dying cat when I hit the button. The lights blink/flash, but barely visible at night, certainly not during the day. The horn beeps 3-4 times, but like the battery is going dead. It's really difficult to tell if the alarm is armed or not, becuase i can't see the lights and it has to be perfectly silent to hear the horn. Any idea why that might be?

RSVX 03-16-2007 05:37 AM

If you are getting rapid beeps, I think that means that the alarm portion is disabled... its been forever since I have messed with the stock alarm, so I am not positive on this... its either that, or it thinks a door is still open somewhere...