The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GPS system performance in the SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44719)

svxcess 05-10-2008 01:48 PM

GPS system performance in the SVX

Do the windshield mount GPS systems, such as Garmain, Magellan, Nuvi or Tom-Tom, work in the SVX?

I know that the titanium coating in the windshield affects radar detector signals but wondered if this inhibited GPS satellite signals as well.

Does anyone here use GPS in their SVX and if so, how well do they work for you?

Subix 05-10-2008 01:52 PM

I remember reading various results in other threads here with some not having any issue, others having issues with their GPS taking several minutes to do the route (but has no problem outside of the car) with some not being able to do anything with some sort of external solution.

I'll probably pick up the Nuvi 260 when I finally get my love home :D

SVXyGirl 05-10-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 546818)
Do the windshield mount GPS systems, such as Garmain, Nuvi and Tom-Tom, work in the SVX?

I know that the titanium coating in the windshield affects radar detector signals but wondered if this inhibited satellite signals as well.

Does anyone here use GPS and if so, how well do they work for you?

I borrowed my friends Tom-Tom when I drove the Tomato car back from Massachusetts. Worked great. I also tried it out in the Claret before my trip and it worked just fine. I've used a Garmin too, but I hated the Garmin. Still had no problem with the signal.

Gr8Dane 05-10-2008 02:17 PM

I was given a Magellan Maestro 4250 for my Birthday for when I move down to SoCal because I'll have no clue how to get around :lol:

I use my system for finding spots I've never been to around town and roadtrips while I'm still living up here in Boise. For now I use the windshield mount, but I know I'll have to put it down onto the dash when it comes time to move down to Cali this summer. And it works fantastic, btw.

This isn't a picture from my car, but this is the exact GPS and mount I use:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/re...ro4250_021.jpg

odepaj 05-10-2008 02:24 PM

My Garmin works just fine in the SVX.

Dustin

LetItSnow 05-10-2008 02:35 PM

Tom Tom One v3 on the Super Windshield... no problems at all here.

It also has the Cafe 101 in memory right off the store shelf. :)

Subix 05-10-2008 02:43 PM

Since we're on the topic... does everyone use the cig lighter to power their GPS or do some actually just go with the battery?

odepaj 05-10-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 546829)
Since we're on the topic... does everyone use the cig lighter to power their GPS or do some actually just go with the battery?

Yeah, I bought a splitter so I can have the GPS plugged in and my phone/Ipod charger.

Gr8Dane 05-10-2008 03:04 PM

That sounds like the right plan, using the splitter. Currently I just have the GPS plugged in until it's full-charge, and then when I need it, I just use battery power so I can still run my cell charger. But I'm gonna go shopping for a splitter now that someone mentioned it. :)

ridered777 05-10-2008 04:39 PM

Little late to the conversation, sorry. I have an "iWay 350c". It's so old, it has difficulty finding satelittes to begin with, but still works in the SVX!

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj (Post 546830)
Yeah, I bought a splitter so I can have the GPS plugged in and my phone/Ipod charger.

I run it off a splitter ($4.00 @ Wal-fart) as well - but I run my radar detector off the other slot...;)

Tim 05-10-2008 05:01 PM

The titanium oxide coated windshield does lower the signal on the GPS when I tested it. It also takes longer to acquire the satellites in the sky as opposed to other cars. The weakened signal makes it hard to use in the city with the larger skyscrapers.

ensteele 05-10-2008 11:56 PM

I have a Magellan Maestro 4250 and it works just fine. :)

SUBBYRU89 05-12-2008 11:16 PM

I just got one like GR8Danes for momma's day. No problems yet..my only gripe is how big the holder is...so Hocrest is working on an idea of where to put it without fubaring any of the interior (when/if it's done I'll post pics)

kwren 05-13-2008 12:09 AM

I have a magellan 4250 and a bronze windsheild...

The satellites take several minutes to start to work so I just turn the unit on in the house and get all the satellites to come in and "green" and then put it in the car when I get ready to go. It works great.

Without a doubt, Magellan is the most "user friendly" of all the GPS units!
You think we get attached to our SVXs? Wait till you try out a Magellan GPS!
For the first time in my life, I was told... "You have arrived" I love that!

And farther more, She tells me that every time I get where I am going!!!

You just got to be there...:)

Keith

LarryIII 05-13-2008 09:53 AM

John,

I've used our Garmin in the SVX without problems.