The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shaking when breaking (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14144)

6evil9 11-01-2003 06:03 AM

Shaking when breaking

Hi everyone

At the moment im experiencing problem: if i drive at speeds greater then 70 kmh and i start breaking, i get noticable shaking of the steering wheel.
Now i put new mags, which are heavier then facotry ones, and shaking is worse, but driving at highway speeds is ok, no shaking (as i guess i should ve get with bad balanced wheels)

Also i recently failed WOF due to my steering rack beein lose or something. (checked that today, and it seemed to be completely ok)
break pads are new ones
and i think all this shaking started after i hit curb at 60kmh... done around 10,000km since then. cheked thread of tyres, looks to be weared evenly.

So question is, shaking while breaking could be caused by what? most likely?
bad rotors? (how to check them)
bad wheel alignment? (how to check)
both sets of wheels bad balanced?(doubtly)
steering rack bent or lose? or something else?

waiting for replies.

6evil9 11-01-2003 06:25 AM

oh yup i also have my left outa cv joint clicking on full right turn. like its ok on the corners, but when i make u turn, it clicks (we drive on left side of the road, so turn right for u- turns)
dunno if its relative, but better say everything i know :)

cheers

Andy 11-01-2003 06:57 AM

1st thing to check is that your lug nuts have been fitted correctly. Were they torqued on of gunned on?

6evil9 11-01-2003 07:11 AM

lols sure i put proper wheel nuts (just changed mags today) and yes i ve tighten them :)

Andy 11-01-2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 6evil9
lols sure i put proper wheel nuts (just changed mags today) and yes i ve tighten them :)
......but were they torqued correctly. Overtightened nuts will warp your rotors and give the symptoms described

6evil9 11-01-2003 07:17 AM

hmmm well i got only usual nut key , how would i know whats the correct torque?
and 2 years ago, i have not tighten the lug nuts properly so almost lost a wheel, so now make sure lug nuts are tight...

6evil9 11-01-2003 07:19 AM

oh yup just woundering how "overtighten" lug nuts can affect rotors?????

or anything else...

Andy 11-01-2003 07:20 AM

Sounds like your problem them. Loosen the nuts off and retighten diagonally to 75ft/lbs

6evil9 11-01-2003 07:22 AM

hmmm ok i mite get the torque key off my dad in the morning
r u sure its 75 the right torque

and some explanaition about overtighten lug nuts? pls :D

and have u experienced the same urself?

cheers :)

lols u r the fastest person who replies!

Andy 11-01-2003 07:28 AM

Do a search and you will find it is a frequent problem. I had it myself and re-torqueing the nuts cured it.

The rotors are also secured by the lug nuts. If torqued incorrectly, the rotors cannot expand evenly when hot, hence the warping. If this doesn't cure it, you may be too late and new rotors will then be needed.

immortal_suby 11-01-2003 07:31 AM

I concur - I had a shaking problem in my wifes svx until I torqued the lugs equally. Problem gone.

Landshark 11-01-2003 07:33 AM

am i the only one who reads the owners manual from cover-to-cover a few times when i get a new car???

to anyone reading this - if you don't have an owners manual for your SVX, please do yourself a favor and get one!

6evil9 11-01-2003 07:45 AM

manual?:rolleyes:

hehe i guess i ve read manual only for my cellphone and some for svx (trying to find cupholder in da car, and it was missing)

ok ok ill retight lug nuts.. first thing in the morning
just i dont wanna lose the nuts (sounds dodgy :p) losing wheel on highway will cause the car go to wracking and me to hospital... if im lucky..... i know ill put that thread lock glue... :)
(did that for my personal plate... ended up drilling the bolts out :rolleyes: )

what are rotors anyway? :)

6evil9 11-01-2003 08:10 AM

hey Andy, i forgot to mention, i ve changed lug nuts, so they are not that washer nuts anymore, they are conus (tapped?) ones.

what torque should i apply for them?

6evil9 11-01-2003 06:21 PM

ok I VE CHECKED THE LUG NUTS, THEY WERE AROUND 60-65 FT/LB SO WERE NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

i ve made them 70-75 ft/lb, done test: drove at speeds up to 125kmh, no shaking, but as long as i start to break at such speed (>80kmh) it feels like car wants to go left/right. like my front and left side breaks uneven: left stronger then right stronger... but maybe its illusion. stronger i press on the breaks, stronger is shaking, but holding the steering wheel tight, decreses the shaking of the car..

ok ideas now? :) (for whole info read first post)