The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quarter panel rust repairs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62605)

Tapani 03-09-2014 10:20 PM

Quarter panel rust repairs

4 Attachment(s)
The work has started !

Dismantled the mudguards, side garnishes and the rear bumper.

The cancer has been caused by missing "arch protectors" and torn mudguard. There was quite a bit of dirt on the wrong side of the plastic inner liner (mudguard in Subie terms).

The visible damage is actually easier to repair than the inner section....

So, the inner panel has rotted first, outside in, then when that has "gone thru" the outer panel has started to rot (from behind). The rearmost corner next to the bumper is naturally different - it's a single panel.

Anyone with "bubbles" in these areas - take the mudguards out and inspect before it's "too late".

/T

SURTEESS 03-10-2014 02:41 AM

Re: Quarter panel rust repairs

Man I am sooooo glad we do not put salt on the roads here in NZ (in fact I have only been in snow once in 40 years here).

Crazy_pilot 03-10-2014 05:11 AM

Looks pretty similar to my car, maybe a little better. Good luck, can't wait to see the progress!

Sean486 03-10-2014 06:25 AM

Will you be replacing the mudguards and arch protectors? I'll be doing the same repair soon. Could you post a few more close ups of the inner panel rot? I want to show them to my body guy.

Tapani 03-10-2014 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 732594)
Will you be replacing the mudguards and arch protectors? I'll be doing the same repair soon. Could you post a few more close ups of the inner panel rot? I want to show them to my body guy.

Yes, I will replace the mudguard(s) - if the shipping cost is not astronomical.... it is a large but light part.... the arch protectors for sure.

I tried to get decent photos from the inside......

Good excuse to order more tools.... a sandbag and a mallet, a Cleko set, Intergrips and a shriker / stretcher :cool:.

/T

SVX_MY_BABY 03-10-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 732594)

I tried to order front fender liners from Subaru. Was told no longer available.

Tapani 03-10-2014 09:10 AM

Check this out:

http://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/...ar-wheel-arch/

/T

SilverSpear 03-10-2014 10:28 AM

OMG the horror! Good luck with that.
When you are done, apply Por15 compound before paint. You will tackle this issue permanently.

SilverSpear 03-10-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 732597)

Even though the work done is pretty impressive, I consider it half-@ssed.
The finishing before paint is not that clean.

Sean486 03-10-2014 07:26 PM

Tapani thanks for posting, the work you are doing is an inspiration to me. I look forward to seeing your progress. :)

Tapani 03-15-2014 07:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A little progress - see photos. Not as pretty as the professionals.... maybe someday I will learn too...

Run out of gas (MIG).... let's see if I can borrow a bottle tomorrow :-)

BTW, the shrinker is a cool machine !

/T

SilverSpear 03-15-2014 08:37 AM

Actually Tapani, very nice job considering fabbing panel pieces from scratch.
Just make sure you clean the rusty surfaces really well and apply a permanent coat of either POR15 or another since you live in an area where snow is abundant.

Tapani 03-16-2014 06:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
All welding is done. I used "Metal prep" (POR15) and rinsed with water... I will let everything dry a few days and then it's time for the black stuff - POR15. I also bought their seam sealer for the invisible seams.

There is about 3mm of filler at the thickest spot on the fender so someone has done some repairs in the past too. Checking with a long ruler - I don't think I will need more than that :eek:. Only one small buckle from the heat and that's inwards.... a little filler will take care of that too.

Next winter I will use the SVX only on days when it's cold enough for not getting salted.... and on the ice track days :-).

I would starve to death if I had to do this for money, though.... such a novice.

Tapani

Crazy_pilot 03-16-2014 09:47 AM

Very nice! What thickness of steel are you using for the repair?

Tapani 03-16-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 732691)
Very nice! What thickness of steel are you using for the repair?

0,75mm - 0,030"

/T