The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tom switched my car with a diff one... i dont recognize it! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31210)

Tim 01-29-2006 11:52 AM

Tom switched my car with a diff one... i dont recognize it!

So yea I picked up my car from Tom's house. I think he gave me a different car because it drives so much differently from how my car drove before I brought it in.:cool:

Those 4.44 gears make quite a difference :D :eek: . I was driving it out of his town on the local roads thinking "eh it feels about the same". The 1-2 shift feels a lot firmer than my old tranny and the other gears were pretty much the same as my old tranny.

Then I got onto the parkway and shot out of the onramp like a bat out of hell.:eek:

For a good while I was babying it as I was getting used to the RPMs being much higher... I was pulling about 2900 for 70 mph which I wasn't used to at all. Now that the wheel bearing noises were finally gone I actually heard my exhaust from inside the car. Cruising on the highway isn't bad at all with the magnaflow even with high rpms, although you can hear it slightly which idn't annoy me too much, but then again I had no radio or interior the whole ride home.

I was still shocked at the improvement in torque and off the line response. At a tollbooth and I decided to do a fast takeoff but not flooring it. I think I hit about 4000 RPM and all my change flew out of the coin holder onto the floor:eek:

It took a while before I found the change I needed for the next tollbooth.:p

It turns out that the transmission originally in my car was rebuilt. I actually figured it was original but the outer casing showed that it was spraypainted gray.

All in all Tom did a great job with the swap and completed everything in a day. I was very happy to drop it off saturday morning and then returned the next morning to find that everything was completed. It didn't put any inconvenience on my school or work schedule and it turned out to be a success.

Thanks Tom!

TomsSVX 01-29-2006 12:31 PM

You are very welcome. I am glad to be of service

Tom

ensteele 01-29-2006 12:38 PM

I am glad to hear it was a success. :)

Electrophil 01-29-2006 06:04 PM

Outstanding!

:( :( I wish I had 4.44's :( :(

Chiketkd 01-29-2006 07:05 PM

Congrats on the *new* car Tim!!!! :cool:

-Chike

AFBeefcake 01-29-2006 09:30 PM

I think that when I finally do something about my trany I'm going to have to go with 4.11 or 4.44 gears. Every one that has switched likes them.

AppStateSVX 01-29-2006 09:44 PM

I agree, while I pray my tranny does go out anytime soon, I still find myself wondering which I will do. 5 spd or 4.44s........

It's Just Eric 01-30-2006 01:41 AM

Tim, your car is pretty nice. Rode in the (lack of) back seat during the test drive. Gotta say, im a little jelous.(spelling?)

Tim 01-30-2006 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Tim, your car is pretty nice. Rode in the (lack of) back seat during the test drive. Gotta say, im a little jelous.(spelling?)

LOL thanks. :)

I took the backseat and the rear deck out to speed up the process when tom was checking out the strut nuts.