The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   SVX difficult to start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61895)

gjhumphris 07-11-2013 06:37 PM

SVX difficult to start

3 Attachment(s)
Well, after hitting a kangaroo in May, I finally have my SVX back from the smash repairers and looking schmick. (I can thoroughly recommend Randall's at Maitland for any panel work - did a great job and took an interest in the car). Worked fine when I got it back, but now it has suddenly become hard to start - it takes about 6 tries to start, stutters and shakes and once it finally kicks over, the red engine light stays on, although runs fine once warmed up. Starting from warm is also no problem, just when cold. It is NOT a battery problem. My uneducated guess is an O2 sensor, but could it be a Knock Sensor (not sure of the difference)? And, is ebay a reliable source to purchase them from?

Any feedback would be great - thanks! :)

oab_au 07-11-2013 07:13 PM

Re: SVX difficult to start

Could be a temp sensor, have you checked for engine codes?

Harvey.

Blacky 07-11-2013 08:18 PM

The car looks sweeet! Did they paint the whole thing?

It's not a knock sensor or O2 sensor problem. My first guess was temp sensor also. Did they do any mechanical repair?

1986nate 07-11-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 725935)
Could be a temp sensor, have you checked for engine codes?

Harvey.

^this :)....

JDW-SVX 07-12-2013 03:49 AM

Oxygen sensors are not used as an input to the ECU until the engine has reached normal operating temperature - it can't be that.

Knock sensors are not used as an input to the ECU during start and idle - it can't be that either.

My guess would also be the Coolant Temperature Sensor, as the way in which the engine is behaving looks as if it is not getting the required cold start enrichment.

It could also be the primary Crank Angle Sensor - from what I understand, the engine will not start or run if this sensor is malfunctioning.

Jason.

icingdeath88 07-12-2013 07:55 AM

Check the code.

1986nate 07-12-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW-SVX (Post 725949)
Oxygen sensors are not used as an input to the ECU until the engine has reached normal operating temperature - it can't be that.

Knock sensors are not used as an input to the ECU during start and idle - it can't be that either.

My guess would also be the Coolant Temperature Sensor, as the way in which the engine is behaving looks as if it is not getting the required cold start enrichment.

It could also be the primary Crank Angle Sensor - from what I understand, the engine will not start or run if this sensor is malfunctioning.

Jason.

I just want to point out that YT did have an instance where a bad o2 sensor was causing a no start. Not that I'm saying this is the case at all. I just want to add factual information of an actual circumstance.:)

gjhumphris 07-14-2013 01:53 AM

Thanks for all the tips - I will get the codes checked as soon as possible .....

In response to a few earlier questions, only the front half of the car was resprayed / blended, and no, there were no mechanical repairs necessary at the time.

Cheers!
Grant

93tzlegacy 07-15-2013 04:32 AM

coolant temp sensor, i'll put money on it.

gjhumphris 07-17-2013 02:48 AM

You guys are good!!! Had it checked by Hunter Subaru this afternoon and, yes, it is the Coolant Temp Sensor. $50. I'll show my ignorance again and ask where is this located and is it something I should be able to reinstall myself. (I'm reasonably handy if it's easy to get at and there's little chance of wrecking something during the install). :lol:

oab_au 07-17-2013 06:38 PM

The temp sensor is located under the left rear of the inlet manifold. On the water cross-over pipe. There are two temp sensors there, one with one wire, that is for the gauge, and one with two wires (the one you want) for the ECU.
With the engine cold, you can undo the sensor and replace it. You should be able to do it without too much water leaking out, just top it up after it has run for a few minutes.

Harvey.