The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Lifting a car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63208)

Conn SVX 12-18-2014 10:03 AM

Lifting a car

Looking at getting a car lift. It is a portable unit. Capacity is 3,500 lb
My car is a 5 speed and has a fiberglass hood.
Spec say stock weight is 3,580. Fig for loss of auto tranny and hood.
Thinking my car is under 3,500 I am sure the lift is good for a few lb over.
See QuickJack car lift to see what I am talking about.
Opinions welcomed.

Blacky 12-18-2014 10:25 AM

Re: Lifting a car

3580 lb is that full of fluids? Oil, coolant, gas, brake fluid, tranny fluid, it adds up quick. See if you can get it weighed at a local gravel pick or such.
In my opinion you're pushing the envelope. I know the max. weight of the lift is conservative but...
For a difference in price of $260.00 get the BL-5000.

EdWindows 12-18-2014 10:26 AM

Play it safe and shell out the extra dough for the BL-5000.

Sean486 12-18-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 737829)
Looking at getting a car lift. It is a portable unit. Capacity is 3,500 lb
My car is a 5 speed and has a fiberglass hood.
Spec say stock weight is 3,580. Fig for loss of auto tranny and hood.
Thinking my car is under 3,500 I am sure the lift is good for a few lb over.
See QuickJack car lift to see what I am talking about.
Opinions welcomed.

Personally I wouldn't want something that is so close to it's maximum capacity.

Crazy_pilot 12-18-2014 11:04 AM

At my old shop we installed a Snap-On hoist and I asked the tech what the factor of safety was. He told me that every piece of equipment is tested to double the rated weight before leaving the factory. That's Snap-On though, not sure if I would apply that same confidence to other manufacturers.

3500 lbs is pretty light though. I would look at something with a little more grunt both for peace of mind and in the event a friend owns something a little porkier and needs the tires swapped over.

svxcess 12-18-2014 01:27 PM

A vintage car collector near me uses the EZ Car lift system. Mainly collects 50's vehicles. He currently had a 1956 caddy on the lift, which he said is about 4400 lbs.

He loves this system and has never had an issue. Really solid. He said he would let me know when the lift is free so that we could try the SVX on it. He has seen my car and says this would be no problem. I have seen it standing in his garage and watched him put in under his vehicles.

Conn SVX 12-18-2014 01:27 PM

My 2 door Honda Accord is 3,200. I am thinking the $250 would be well spent. Unless my wife ordered it for me for Xmas.

92snowmachine 12-18-2014 01:41 PM

when i had my first lift installed the installer said i could use it past it's rating but it would shorten the life of the lift. it's a 10k lift and he said he knew of people lifting up to 15k, the only difference between the two lifts was a larger hydraulic motor and heavier cables. the electrician said that if you exceed the capacity of the lift it will blow a breaker before the lift breaks.

i have never exceeded the weight limit just passing on the info i have heard.

Conn SVX 12-18-2014 02:16 PM

If she ordered it I will use it. The company said it will lift 3,500 with ease. Since my car is not stock I can easily drop it below 3,500 just by doing it with a 1/4 tank of gas ( -80 lbs ) remove the spare ( - 25 lbs ) and with the all ready 75 lb reduction or more should be good. Hopefully she just gives me the money.then I January add to it and order it myself. Who said friends could use it?:lol:
The EZ lift has rollers and can only be used on a smooth surface. One end is stationary the other rolls. Also it has 2 cross bars making under car repairs more difficult . My garage is not wide enough I have to do it in the shelter or In the driveway.http://www.garageautoequipment.com/Q...-p/bl-3500.htm

EdWindows 12-18-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 737836)
A vintage car collector near me uses the EZ Car lift system. Mainly collects 50's vehicles. He currently had a 1956 caddy on the lift, which he said is about 4400 lbs.

He loves this system and has never had an issue. Really solid. He said he would let me know when the lift is free so that we could try the SVX on it. He has seen my car and says this would be no problem. I have seen it standing in his garage ans watched him put in under his vehicles.

Seems like a great product, only 2 problems I see with it:
1) It costs $2000!! :eek: You can buy a real hydraulic floor post lift for that price!
2) The design looks like it would impede a transmission, driveshaft, or gas tank removal on most cars.

svxcess 12-18-2014 03:53 PM

My friend has a large aluminum garage that accommodates 6 cars at a time. What he likes about this system is that he can lift the car, work on what he wants and, using the optional casters, push it abound the garage. Can move it out of the way to bring in another car and work on something else and come back to it.

He never mentioned any limitations on the crossbars. I have seen him do exhaust system work without interference.

Conn SVX 12-21-2014 12:22 PM

Just ordered the BL 5000 quick Jack. Got it free shipping and only $150 more than the 3,500 lb. No Brainer. Had to have it shipped to my buddies warehouse to save delivery charges. Pictures to follow.

Blacky 12-21-2014 01:45 PM

Good choice!:cool:

Conn SVX 12-21-2014 03:10 PM

Got this one. Should have it mid Jan if not sooner
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen.../BL-5000.aspx:)
Got an e mail today. They may ship on the 5th. Xmas screwing up the works they test it before they ship. QC not working next 4 days.

Conn SVX 01-13-2015 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lift came in today. Looks real beefy. Will not fit in the rear of the SVX with rear seat down. About 4" to long. Without a passenger I think I can squeeze it in. Weight is just about as much as u can safely carry. 40/45lb each side is my guess.
Still in the box. Only10 deg. Waiting a bit to instal fittings and hoses.