The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AC Woes, and Woh! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3737)

nvrmore100 04-19-2002 10:25 AM

AC Woes, and Woh!

Well once again my AC is not working. I took it to the dealer and ended up having a hour long shouting dispute with the service manager. The problem was I had them "repair" a leak in the system and recharge it last year for the tune of $170. First thing this year I turn it on and it doesn't work again. I called and asked if they would warranty their work and they said they would. I bring the car in and they tell me sure enough its leaking again. However they refuse to fix it because it's a problem with my compressor. Then they wanted to charge me $50 to tell me this (after they told me it would be looked at for free). So after yelling the manager for a while, I got him to re-emburse me for the $170 I spent last year on a fix that could not possibly be fixed.

So now I have no AC, but at least I got my $170 back. I just wish it was something cheap and not a $700 compressor + labor. :(

On a completely side note. I just noticed this today:

Most users ever online was 61 on 03-18-2002 at 06:02 PM.

What the heck, did I miss a major online forum meeting or something. :D

Beav 04-19-2002 11:28 AM

Was that at Burt?

Actually, and I'm not saying this to be disagreeable, they may have fixed something last year and the compressor leak is something new.

nvrmore100 04-19-2002 02:17 PM

Yes this was at Burt. I usually have had nothing but good service from them, but ended up getting a real jerk of a service advisor this time (one that the service manager even agreed was getting a lot of complaints).

However they had a record on the invoice saying it was in fact the same leak, hence I was upset. If they had told me last year this was a unfixable problem then I would have never have paid the $170. Hence they gave the refund. :)

Beav 04-19-2002 04:33 PM

That's crappy, attempt a repair, it doesn't work out, charge you anyway and see if they can get away with it....

DavieGravy 04-19-2002 11:24 PM

Let me guess. Syed right? After a good ten minute shouting match, I almost jumped the counter and punched the jerk-off!! If you'll excuse my hostility. Anyway, I've just got my AC recharged for $206. I have 81k on my 92 L. If there is anything I should be concerned about, please do me the courtosy of letting me know . It doesn't seem much colder and still gets warm when the car's at idle.
Dave.

nvrmore100 04-20-2002 05:16 PM

I honestly can't even remember his name. But, that very well could be it.

Anyways, that was the same experience I had with my A/C. It was never as cold as when it worked like it should have. Hopefully your compressor isn't shot as well. :(

jbarber 04-22-2002 02:18 AM

Re: AC Woes, and Woh!

>>.. So now I have no AC, but at least I got my $170 back. I just wish it was something cheap and not a $700 compressor + labor. :( <<

I don't know the year of your SVX, but it -seems- that some of the '92 Legacys use the same compressor as the '92 SVX's. If yours is marked "Zexel DCW-17", then check this out:

http://www.a-aironline.com/

Click "Subaru"
Fill in the screen fields with Legacy, '92 w 2.2L/DCW-17

Looks like a rebuilt unit runs $266.09, plus a $35 core charge. Even if your car has a different compressor, I'd give A-Air a call, and see if they have it. If it were me, I'd at least try the following:

(1) Confirm that a rebuilt compressor with warranty is available.
(2) Find a reputable 3rd-party A/C repair house, and ask them if they'd allow you to supply a compressor and parts for your 'specialty car', and pay them the install labor.
(3) If so, order the compressor from the rebuilder, and an R-134 retrofit kit from subaruparts.com .
(4) Take it in, and have it done. If it comes together the way I described, you could probably have the whole thing done for roughly what you were quoting for the compressor, and future repairs would be for the cheaper R-134 system.

My .02,
--jim