The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tom's twin turbo thread (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28243)

TomsSVX 09-04-2005 08:31 PM

Tom's twin turbo thread

Well Ladies and Gentlmen, I am going twin turbo this winter. I picked up a pair of turbos off my brother's Z32 in great condition (about 30-40k on them). I also got a great deal on a good set of wheels :D Anyway this will be the thread that I will post in to give you an idea of the progress made so far.

Right now what I have is

- Two turbos with internal wastegates
- Oversized downpipes
- Monza mufflers to be fitted up to my dual exhaust
- Walboro 255lb/h fuel pump

To be purchased

- Stage 2v4 Via LAN
- Oil lines for turbos(fliter adaptor)
- Top mount intercoolers
- Tubing and silicone hoses
- Fuel Pressure regulator
I know there is a lot of holes in my plan as of now but they will be filled in when I have a better idea of what exactly is going on.. Please feel free to leave some input as to what is happening and the work I am doing. Thanks

Tom

Chiketkd 09-04-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
- Top mount intercoolers

TMIC? Do you plan on getting a hood w/ a scoop?

Congrats in advance! :)

-Chike

TomsSVX 09-04-2005 09:29 PM

I need to make them... I am thinking of making 2 wrx style scoops... one for each side, it will look silly but they will be funstional. I plan on placing the intercoolers where the ABS unit is(won't be there anymore :D ) and where the battery is(moved to trunk). I want to put the intercoolers there because I have heard that the closer you come to putting a scoop on the nose, the more "fast air" you will get to pass through it, much like the trans-am style scoops

Thnx

Tom

Chiketkd 09-04-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

I need to make them... I am thinking of making 2 wrx style scoops... one for each side, it will look silly but they will be funstional. I plan on placing the intercoolers where the ABS unit is(won't be there anymore :D ) and where the battery is(moved to trunk). I want to put the intercoolers there because I have heard that the closer you come to putting a scoop on the nose, the more "fast air" you will get to pass through it, much like the trans-am style scoops

Thnx

Tom

Personally, I'd go for a single hood scoop, and just mount the two intercoolers side-by-side. It'll keep the 'looks' department in check! ;)

Remember, 'functionality' can have a serious aesthetic downfall when taken to the extreme! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ofdeath001.jpg

-Chike

TomsSVX 09-04-2005 09:50 PM

can anyone graft two scoops in that relative area on a photo?? I don't want to center the the intercoolers because of space related issues. Not to mentin piping would be much easier.

Tom

ensteele 09-04-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Not to mentin piping would be much easier.

Tom

Doesn't look like the guy above had much problem piping the equipment. :rolleyes:

After seeing the picture, I am still in shock! :eek: :o

Chiketkd 09-04-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

can anyone graft two scoops in that relative area on a photo??

Here's a good pic for a person to use - Earl's awesome Laguna Blue 5spd!!!! :cool:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...teele/6764.jpg

-Chike

TomsSVX 09-04-2005 10:29 PM

Yeah, but how do you expect me to fit 2 intercoolers there? The intake is right underneath it?? I dunno I will figure it out later.

Tom

AvPPoW 09-04-2005 10:31 PM

Whynot cut the bumper and use 2 fmics?

sperry 09-04-2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvPPoW
Whynot cut the bumper and use 2 fmics?

Why not just use one intercooler, unless you're planning on making a completely custom intake manifold and using two butterflys... in which case, just make the intake manifold such that it leaves room for two intercoolers at the top of the motor.

Chiketkd 09-04-2005 11:43 PM

Transmission?

Tom,

Another thing to consider is the 'life expectancy' of your current 5MT once you switch to a twin-turbo set-up. If you do ever convert to a hydraulic clutch set-up, I know the FXT/Legacy 2.5GT/'03+ WRX 5spds are strong enough to handle the extra torque your engine will be dishing out (and run about ($900-$1,500 at junkyards) - even though a $3,500+ 6MT STI trans would be the best! :D

-Chike

TomsSVX 09-05-2005 02:57 AM

The 5mt is handling all the power I am dishing out right now. The only thing is that it cannot keep up with my shifting when I race and I burned up my 2nd gear synchos. My 5mt is running very strong and shows no sign of damage due to torque or hp so I do not see it being a huge problem. I understand that I will eat them up pretty good once I start romping on it but I will also tone down my driving unless I am at the track. That also goes without mentioning that I have a spare sitting on the floor in my garage :D

On another note LAN just gotin touch with me and fed me some very valuable info. He told me that with the 255 walboro pump and an adjustable or Imprezza fpr I will not need to run the extra injector controller which is going to save me about $700. This means that the project should be underway much sooner than I expected.

John, the only reason I am not using FMIC is that there will be very little room as I am remote mounting the turbos in the front. Running the intake piping right up to the intercoolers and then back to the TB

I am using 2 because our throttle bodies are twins... Check under your engine cover and you will realize that the one intake tube splits into two before the TB in essence making the IRIS system functional.

So I will edit my origonal post taking the AIC out of the equation

Tom

mbtoloczko 09-05-2005 08:17 AM

How much boost are you aiming for?

Subafreak 09-05-2005 09:55 AM

So Tom you plan on running the turbos under the front off to the sides like on the EG33 WRX that never showed up to E-town?

Your gonna need some fancy pipe bending to get them there, I'm up for some fun working with the stock manifolds but if you want to get really crazy with some headers I would give Tom a call he makes some sweet stuff. ;)

Are you going with the Top mounts to avoid the extra piping? I like the idea of running two intercoolers along the sides of the motor, one around where the ABS was and the other where the battery was, assuming thats where you were talking about. It will be alot easier to get intercoolers to fit in those dimentions than in the front anyway, and I think the hood won't look to bad with the right choice of scoop mounted in those locations.

One thing to thing about thoe is that I assume you plan to run a seperate intake for each turbo? So you will need to go with the one MAF reading half the intake charge and the other side being a blank. How will that work into the whole Z32 stage II V4 or 5 thing?

Jayahalasi 09-05-2005 10:16 AM

I was wondering the same thing about piping air into each bank of the TB with only one maf(is 2 MAFs a possibility?) I had thought about trying to do this with an N/a car just having 2 cold air intakes.

anyone know what would happen in this situation.