The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny Advice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24714)

Integrator 02-25-2005 08:36 PM

Tranny Advice

In a month or so I will be attempting the 5 speed swap in my newly acquired 92 LSi. I'm considering doing the swap myself which will in turn save enough money for me to paint the car this year also.

I am a mechanic apprentice with only a couple years experience and have yet to even change a clutch let alone do a tranny swap on jack stands but I feel that I could possibly accomplish this task with a little guidance.

I can't weld very well (now is the time to learn I guess) and I could get the whole swap completed in a town near me for under $3000.

Guess I'm just looking for some encouragement. I've been searching the forums for about a month now to get an idea of what I was getting into.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

wawazat?? 02-26-2005 07:34 AM

GIve it a shot

I look at it this way. Your tranny is shot, you're working towards becoming a mechanic (so you've got/are getting the aptitude and tools) and finally if all else fails, you can take it to the shop to complete the work.

Todd

SVX-FF 02-26-2005 09:56 AM

Go for it!!!

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. All of my experence has been from hands on work. There is no better training for working on a car. You will learn a lot by doing it yourself and making the mistakes.
I would sugest that you get 6 ton jack stands only because of the higher height then 3 ton ones.

Best of luck, and remember we , the SVX community, are always here for ya. :)

Steve

mbtoloczko 02-26-2005 10:34 AM

I say give it a shot too. Some parts of the job are tough, but just be sure to take your time. In particular, take care not to same the wiring harness when cutting holes in the firewall and welding for the pedal assembly.

intellibomb 02-26-2005 03:18 PM

i say go for it

whats better: a sweet 5spd SVX or a 5spd SVX with FRESH PAINT for the same price?

and like todd said
if you do f- it up or get stuck midway, take it to the shop to finish!

i say, with working with cars, the hardest part is sinking your heels in and going for it
after that, everything falls into place.

you just gotta get super prepared first, because trying to round up that elusive part in the 11th hour that holds you up sucks.
once you have everything, just gung-ho it, and dont stop thinking about finishing it until its done.

GOOD LUCK! MAY YOUR SVX KICK ASS!

SVXRide 02-26-2005 09:08 PM

Go for it...take your time....be careful while under the car....ask a lot of questions (there are now a bunch of folks on the network who have done this swap).
Good luck!
-Bill

Earthworm 02-28-2005 03:29 PM

I'm not being picky but I'm wondering where the people are to point out that the 92 SVX is an LS-L and not an LSi :D

Welcome to the site and don't hesitate to ask us questions if you get stuck with the swap.

svxfiles 03-02-2005 03:00 PM

Read Huck369's how to.
Then read it ten more times.:)
Some of the guys on the network can not only give you advice, but sell to you the custom made things you need.
Subafreak can make the crossmember for you.
Mychailo has done this and can answer your questions.
Huck has never been stingy with information.
And starting next week( I hope), my little brother in Cincinnati will be starting his five speed swap on his new 92 SVX.

I can tell you this, the car will feel like a lighter,(it is) quicker,(it is) better handeling(it is) version of it's self! You will learn a lot and have reason to be proud!
Just becareful under there! Bad things can happen quickly.
Good luck, and keep us posted! Tom