The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   svx good in snow? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15988)

SVXMAN2001 01-26-2004 08:42 PM

svx good in snow?

Well we had a couple inches of snow/sleet here in northeastern pa. I was driving my svx and i was all over the place. I drive fairly conservatively especially in bad weather and was shockingly surprised at the instability of the svx in the snow. The only thing i could think of blaming the lack of control was on the tires. I am running p225 50 toyo proxes. Do people with this same width/height tire have similar problems in the snow. I mean i am not floundering all over, but i did happen to fishtail on one turn, and slid at numerous stops. comments welcome, thanks Chris

ChrisR 01-26-2004 08:52 PM

Mine handles extremely well in the snow. However, it has bridgestone Blizzaks (snow tires). Tires make a HUGE difference in the snow.

SVXMAN2001 01-26-2004 08:56 PM

yeah my tires are dry and wet classified. The car handles exceptionally well in dry weather, just didn't expect it to be this bad in the snow. I just have to drive a little more careful. This is the only winter my svx will be driven so i'll just nurse it the rest of the season.

Green1995SVX 01-26-2004 09:04 PM

my svx is a tank in the snow with my Dunlop Mud+Snow rated tires.

It must be your tires, chris.

Mike

CDG 01-26-2004 09:35 PM

My Dunlops SP5000's are mediocre in snow, but the fact that the whole car does extremely predictable 4 wheel slides is what makes the SVX very well balanced, if you have a full tank of gas, the rear end will not slide as easily.
Its all that power, and weight that makes the car slide. And of course braking can be a chalenge at times without great snow tires. I would suggest lowering your tire preasure to 25lbs for good snow traction, assuming you have lots of tread.

My advice is only for the heavy snow, low tire pressure will cause uneven tire wear on pavement.

drivemusicnow 01-26-2004 09:36 PM

i'd go with the tires also, i have mud and snow rated b/f goodrich tires, and its pretty amazing in the snow, although i have noticed in some cases that pulling the ebrake will actually stop the car faster than the ABS... not all the time, but if the conditions are just right... AWD helps you go... doesn't doo much to help you stop

mbtoloczko 01-26-2004 11:23 PM

I find my car does very well in the snow as long as its less than 6 inches deep. M+S tires with about 1/2 tread left.

Shot king 01-27-2004 10:05 AM

We got robbed last nite we were supposed to get like another 5 inches . I don't see it:mad:

Shot king 01-27-2004 10:06 AM

Whereabouts in NEPA Svxman?

halistan 01-27-2004 02:56 PM

My SVX has been better....

It used to do real well in the snow but last night I had all sorts of problems. I'm assuming its my tires. It doesn't help that i have yokohama Dcbl's with only 2/32 tread left. Oh well, i'll try and make a point to get new ones soon.

~Ray

SubaSteevo 01-27-2004 03:10 PM

My Tires (Yokohama Avid V4s) seemed to do really well in the snow last year when they were new, this year not as well.

P.S. Ray the quote is "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I believe it was Thomas Jefferson.

nextcubepro 01-27-2004 04:58 PM

I have 18 inchers with 40 series high performance summer only tires, and when NY got 14" of snow in December, the car was great. Every car is pretty unstable in deep snow, but my SVX was more surefooted than many SUVs I was passing, and the 4 wheel drifts are awesome...fun, yet predictable.

DavieGravy 01-27-2004 05:04 PM

Most cars will handle well in the snow with good snow-rated tires, but for the most part, the SVX sucks in the snow. End of story. Use the manual button while the gear selector is in 3 and this will help prevent spinouts from a standstill.

nextcubepro 01-27-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavieGravy
Most cars will handle well in the snow with good snow-rated tires, but for the most part, the SVX sucks in the snow. End of story. Use the manual button while the gear selector is in 3 and this will help prevent spinouts from a standstill.
Wrong. I was able to take off faster and hold the road longer with the SVX than an FX45 (yea i know but wait...), an 03 Explorer, and a Dorango. I think that making the statement the the SVX sucks in the snow is harsh, and untrue. It is at the very worst,...fair.

halistan 01-27-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
My Tires (Yokohama Avid V4s) seemed to do really well in the snow last year when they were new, this year not as well.

P.S. Ray the quote is "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I believe it was Thomas Jefferson.

Thanks, i wasn't sure who said it. I know that i saw it once and it stuck with me over the years but i didn't know who said it. Thanks :)

~Ray