The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ATF from tranny to radiator - what's the correct path? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45990)

seion 08-28-2008 07:00 PM

ATF from tranny to radiator - what's the correct path?

So I am not new here and already have done ATF cooler installations. But in the back of my mind I have a nagging feeling and the only way to get the facts straight is to start asking questions. Even though I already have done my research, it doesn't hurt to ask: what is the correct path (flow) of the ATF from the tranny to the radiator and back? I already have a Perma-cool deluxe filter and tranny cooler installed. Your feedback is very appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...y_question.jpg

svxcess 08-29-2008 08:22 AM

Re: ATF from tranny to radiator - what's the correct path?

The ATF line from the transmission goes INTO the radiator on the PASSENGER side (#6 in your diagram)

and OUT of the radiator on the DRIVER'S side and back to the transmission (#5 in your diagram.

The original diagram in the 1992 service manual was incorrect and was later fixed in the corrections supplement.
Here is the correction:

Also check the How-To Document folder HERE for the various ATF flow configurations for the SVX. They include series, parallel, bypassing the stock radiator completely, and counter-flow diagrams.

seion 08-29-2008 11:39 AM

Thank you so much for the clarification. I did it right the first time but I wanted to double-check. You made me regain my peace of mind ;).

Hocrest 08-29-2008 07:30 PM

If you're installing a permacool filter with a one way valve, I would highly suggest pulling off a line and having someone start the car while you watch for ATF to flow into a jug.

I thought I had it right... Didn't check... replaced a tranny after 4 days :(

seion 08-30-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 561880)
If you're installing a permacool filter with a one way valve, I would highly suggest pulling off a line and having someone start the car while you watch for ATF to flow into a jug.

I thought I had it right... Didn't check... replaced a tranny after 4 days :(

After making sure of the ATF flow, I then paid attention the "IN" and "OUT" connections of the Permacool filter, and then I checked for warm fluid flowing into the filter and then to the radiator and then to the cooler; it all flowed like it should. Sorry to hear about your tranny, but by now you are an expert, right? ;)

Hocrest 08-30-2008 06:33 PM

Well, I'm still not an expert, but I know that I need to double check the flow next time I install a filter ;)

For the info of others, even if you follow the digrams posted above, if someone before reveresed the lines coming out of the tranny, it could be flowing the other way...

svxfiles 08-30-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 561984)
Well, I'm still not an expert, but I know that I need to double check the flow next time I install a filter ;)

For the info of others, even if you follow the digrams posted above, if someone before reveresed the lines coming out of the tranny, it could be flowing the other way...

Absolutely!

seion 08-31-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 561984)

Hmm, never thought of it that way, but both of the SVXes I have had the original setup (old external filter and everything), so I went ahead with the assumption that no mods had been done. You guys have been of great help and many times that I drive my SVXes I think to myself "I'm glad the guys at the forum were able to help me".

ensteele 08-31-2008 05:07 PM

That is why it is here. :)