The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   more ebay seller ripoffs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37588)

rallyingrob 02-21-2007 12:33 PM

more ebay seller ripoffs

well well WELL
i found a silla rad on ebay (item # 110083700764)

$112.58

wow great price and they even ship for free on orders over 50$ to the lower 48 according to the sellers website(which lists the same part at $164.64??!!?!?)

so, i just got off the phone with their call-centre guy who was as knowledgeable as a fence post........

shipping to my postal code in nova scotia??.......$225.80 usd ON TOP of the $112.58 that he could "let me have it at"........

sheesh !!!

my wife got burned on shipping from an ebay seller a few yrs ago....but this takes the cake!!

kinda sucks.......some people are so shady......advertise something cheap to get your business and then charge through the nose for shipping to pad(or even simply MAKE) their profit.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dayle!!
i'll be ordering a rad real soon !!!

rob"grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRR!!"m.

davew833 02-21-2007 01:10 PM

Outrageous shipping costs are how a lot of sellers are making their profits on ebay now, since ebay charges seller fees based on the sale price of the item and not on any shipping-related amounts. Selling an item for next to nothing and jacking the shipping though the roof 'cheats' ebay out of their cut. With the way ebay continues to raise their fees, I don't entirely blame sellers for doing so, but it means that buyers need to be especially aware of how much they're paying for shipping beforehand.

dcarrb 02-21-2007 01:25 PM

I once priced shipping on an old steamer trunk on eBay and the seller quoted more than $80, over four times the going bid, and it would have only been shipped about 100 miles.

But let's hear it for the good guys: I won an old watch on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $10 and paid <$3 for first class mail; settled-up Saturday morning and it was in my mailbox Monday evening, having traveled from Oregon to Georgia.

dcb

rallyingrob 02-21-2007 03:03 PM

very nice!!

i now have a line on an oe rad cheap...
fingers crossed.......
lol

rob

Dza 02-21-2007 03:29 PM

If that falls through, consider eBay seller "radsus" whose website is radiatorsus.com. Their SVX rad isn't listed on the site, but they have them if you phone. I bought one, and it was cheap and fits well.

DarknessofDeath 02-21-2007 04:57 PM

yup. one of the things to worry about ebaying...getting ripped for shipping which is usually the worst especially for guys like us over the border in canada. something that ships for $8 to the 48 lower states could cost us about triple when we buy it and then we find a $5 shipping sticker on the package.
it's outrageous and sometimes we get sucked into it. i buy things off of ebay because there are no sources up here in canada.

nordique14 02-22-2007 10:44 AM

My family is in Canada and they commonly will get screwed on shipping charges from ebay sellers. If that happens, they will have the item shipped to me here in the US and then I will ship it to them. It gets shipped twice, but it is still cheaper.

If the item had free shipping, I would tell the guy you will pay actual shipping charges or you will have him ship it to someone in the US. If he doesn't take that offer he is crazy. He can either recover his shipping costs if he sends it to Canada or eat the costs if he sends it to a US address.

AlcyoneDaze 02-22-2007 10:56 AM

I had a guy on ebay try to charge me for $250 for shipping a hood up the eastern seaboard when his auction said "starting at $150"... I got various quotes on shipping for about $150 but he wouldn't budge. I eventually said f.u. and took the unpaid item strike