The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   color question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30522)

kuroneko_sama 12-29-2005 01:45 AM

color question

my gf's uncle has a '92 svx (uses it as an undercover police cruiser) and it has an interesting paint job, he claims to be a stock color

its a purpleish/dark burgundy color with very thin red pinstriping near the bottom that seperates grey all along the lower couple of inches of the body

kinda like the Z24 caviliers that have the grey bottom

the question is is it supposed to be that color or was that a custom thing

YellowBird 12-29-2005 06:17 AM

It doesn't sound like a stock color.

An undercover police car....I bet that doesn't draw attention now does it. :D

svxistentialist 12-29-2005 06:31 AM

Custom for sure.

1 Attachment(s)
If the car is '92 like you say, then the bodywork should be claret [a pretty dark purple colour] and the roof and trunklid should be black.

Maybe it got minor bodywork damage at some stage, and the owner decided to go off-standard with the colour.

In Japan, some of the early 92-94 cars came in a distinctive three-tone style. The roof and trunk were black, the bodywork mainly silver, and the lower door panels and around the same level on the bumper was painted dark grey. These cars WERE stock, but I think they were Japan only, although Tony in the UK had an imported one, and they looked very nice in my view.

Enclosed is a photo of a Japanese one, maybe your uncle's car copied this colour scheme. The three-tone colour only came on silver cars, BTW.

Joe:)

ensteele 12-29-2005 11:19 AM

I have not see a color combination like you describe. I would say it is a custom paint job. :)

kuroneko_sama 12-30-2005 12:34 AM

ill get a picture of it in a few days, ill be near it then.... its not like the japanese pic (though that is a SWEET looking car) it resembles more of a z24 look where only an inch or 2 has the grey seperated by a thin red pinstripe, i never noticed it until last week, it does have the black trunk. the car was ordered from the factory in 92 by his sister whom passed away and left him the car.

kuroneko_sama 12-30-2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBird
An undercover police car....I bet that doesn't draw attention now does it. :D

actually its kinda neat...strobes are in the waterfall grill

Green1995SVX 12-30-2005 12:57 AM

Check my signature for a pic of the "Z24 Look" ;)

Mike

kuroneko_sama 12-31-2005 12:15 AM

yes its similar to your cavilier but only about an inch or so is grey, not as much as the cavilier butthe same idea, pics to come hopefully monday night

kuroneko_sama 01-09-2006 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok i finally got some snapshots and i gotthe trim code as 210 and color code as 265 it was built in 11/91 also note the pinstriping up by the door line.... it also has the back roof/trunk

Attachment 6696

Attachment 6697

Attachment 6698

Attachment 6699

Attachment 6700

as far as i know it was unchanged from factory and was built for her by subaru

i jsut never seen one quite like this.... plus i think its a bit subtle to be a custom aftermarket job

YellowBird 01-10-2006 01:09 AM

That looks pretty nice.

Maybe someone can shed more light on this for you.

svxistentialist 01-10-2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
Check my signature for a pic of the "Z24 Look" ;)

Mike

Mike

Was your car originally green mica, painted red by mistake, or vice versa?

Because if it was originally green mica underbase, I would be very interested to know what paint code the car has on the plate.

And indeed, how did the paint mixers mess it up?

svxistentialist 01-10-2006 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_romeo
ok i finally got some snapshots and i gotthe trim code as 210 and color code as 265 it was built in 11/91 also note the pinstriping up by the door line.... it also has the back roof/trunk

Attachment 6696

Attachment 6697

Attachment 6698

Attachment 6699

Attachment 6700

as far as i know it was unchanged from factory and was built for her by subaru

i jsut never seen one quite like this.... plus i think its a bit subtle to be a custom aftermarket job

Thanks for the pics. It looks real cool, and is subtle like you say.

I still think it is aftermarket, the cars never came from the factory that way. It is highly possible that the supplying dealers got their bodyshop to apply the grey and the pinstripe before the car was delivered. It's a very neat job.

ensteele 01-10-2006 06:43 PM

Your wheels are on backwards!! :rolleyes: :D :D

SubaRyu 01-10-2006 08:47 PM

It's cool, I like it. Never seen that color scheme like that. Take good care and not scratch that area!:D

-Ryu

kuroneko_sama 01-11-2006 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Your wheels are on backwards!! :rolleyes: :D :D

correction HIS wheels are on backwards....mine are not ;)