The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AMR coil over issue. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64928)

Andrew P. 09-09-2019 03:43 PM

AMR coil over issue.

2 Attachment(s)
I've had the AMR coil overs installed on my 92' for 4 years.
The car handles completely different and I like it.
However, this last weekend I noticed that the rubber part of the top mounts on the front coil overs are pretty deteriorated. I'm not feeling too safe about driving it again until I figure out how to fix it.
I've contacted Andy at AMR but I haven't heard back yet.
I'll attach the pics that I sent to him.
Any input is appreciated.

SVX_MY_BABY 09-10-2019 03:53 PM

Re: AMR coil over issue.

That is the top mount for the strut, which on an OEM is a separate part. I'm not a mechanic, but if memory serves me correctly you can replace it pretty easily. However you need a spring compressor to do it after the strut is removed from the car.

Andrew P. 09-11-2019 03:48 PM

Thanks for the input.
However the top mount that you see is a custom unit made by AMR not the stock part.
I have as of yet to get a response from AMR about a warranty replacement.
I should have been more direct with my question which is should I park it until I can get the parts to fix it? Or can I still drive it?

SVX_MY_BABY 09-12-2019 06:48 AM

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a mechanic. But, it's my understanding that under normal driving a tear in the rubber of a top mount will not lead to catastrophic failure unless the pressure comes off of the strut. ie the wheel becomes airborne over a bump or similar. It will just get noisier and gradually deteriorate more.

Blacky 09-13-2019 04:49 AM

It's safe to drive. There's no way that rubber should have deteriorated like that already. Keep us informed of AMR's response, if you ever get one.:rolleyes:

halistan 09-15-2019 08:50 AM

That's not part of the coilover, that's the top strut mount. Just order new ones from subaru and have them installed. They are like $60 i think.

Andrew P. 09-15-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 751300)
It's safe to drive. There's no way that rubber should have deteriorated like that already. Keep us informed of AMR's response, if you ever get one.:rolleyes:

I must admit I'm not holding my breath.

Andrew P. 09-15-2019 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by halistan (Post 751304)
That's not part of the coilover, that's the top strut mount. Just order new ones from subaru and have them installed. They are like $60 i think.

Yes, it is part of the coil over not the stock top mount. I should know, I did buy them and see them before they were installed.

irox 09-16-2019 01:38 AM

I agree with Andrew, the AMR coil overs completely replace the existing shock. They bolt up to the original mount, but right to the metal, there isn't any reuse of the original shock parts.

I've have a fairly good experience with AMR both times I've bought things (including AMR coil overs) from them. I hope they can give you a good experience too!

Could your request have been accidentally lost (small shop, no dedicate customer service department, etc.)... did you email them a few times? Call them on phone?

If you like I would be happy to email them and ask them to respond.

I've said generally positive things about them based on my personal experience with them, also I may purchase another set of AMR coil overs for my latest project once the current shocks become intolerable... may be that will help...? Also, I really appreciate AMR supporting the SVX, and hope they can maintain at a good standing in our community.

Cheers,
Ian.

Andrew P. 09-16-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irox (Post 751307)
I agree with Andrew, the AMR coil overs completely replace the existing shock. They bolt up to the original mount, but right to the metal, there isn't any reuse of the original shock parts.

I've have a fairly good experience with AMR both times I've bought things (including AMR coil overs) from them. I hope they can give you a good experience too!

Could your request have been accidentally lost (small shop, no dedicate customer service department, etc.)... did you email them a few times? Call them on phone?

If you like I would be happy to email them and ask them to respond.

I've said generally positive things about them based on my personal experience with them, also I may purchase another set of AMR coil overs for my latest project once the current shocks become intolerable... may be that will help...? Also, I really appreciate AMR supporting the SVX, and hope they can maintain at a good standing in our community.

Cheers,
Ian.

Thanks. I'll try to contact them again as well.