The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   STI recognition award and logo;please provide your comment (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44293)

svxistentialist 04-14-2008 06:50 PM

STI recognition award and logo;please provide your comment

We recently made some changes and improvements that we promised. One of these was the new STI award system using a logo we designed:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/../p...es/RSVX/44886.

This logo contains the initials STI, which we "borrowed" from Subaru Technica International, the rally development wing of Subaru. The logo is designed in the style used for Giugiaro badges, again for obvious reasons as the man designed the original show version of our SVX.

This badge or logo was proposed and developed by the admin team in order to give long overdue recognition to the wonderful work of many members in giving their time and expertise to the general membership of the Network.

While the response and constant communication from all of the SVX family out there is what keeps this forum alive and vibrant, I'm sure you will all agree that there is a core group of responders that has given great service to the membership down through the years. The rest of us rely on these people who are so generous with their time and with their expertise.

They have served the SVX community both with technical innovation such as changing to manual gearboxes and so on, the writing up and posting of "How Tos" for problems that we all experience, or for simply knowing how to fix our mechanical problems when we post a call for help and describe our problems.

RSVX outlined how the award applied to an initial group that we admins and mods selected based on our knowledge of their input down through the years. This initial group includes the following:
  • Huck369, inventor of the 5 Speed Swap.
  • LAN aka "longassname", for all ECUTune has offered the community.
  • SVXfiles aka "Old Tom", for various gear swaps and other mods.
  • Stevebsy, for the prototype body panels and front bumper.
  • SVXdc, for the stereo harnesses.
The following four are for technical advice and assistance:
  • Beav
  • Harvey aka "oab_au"
  • Trevor
  • TomsSVX
As we mentioned in the "Changes" sticky, this award is on a beta test basis and we hope you understand the reason behind it and we would like your input so that we can refine the award system and ensure that the people looking after your SVX problems get the Network recognition they deserve.

Trevor who is very generous with his time and expertise declined the award. Trevor modestly suggests that response to problems technical or otherwise is essential on the Network, and we wish there were many more who think like him. Tom [Tomsvx] also declined although many appreciate his past and current input to the Network.

The award is designed to acknowledge significant input by various members down the years. It is not intended as the equivalent of a technical qualification, nor is it intended to imply that people wearing the logo are infallible on technical points. This is an amateur Network composed of people with a common interest in the SVX helping one another to keep their cars alive and in good condition.

What the logo does represent is the recognition by the Network and the membership of the volume and quality of help from certain individuals over the history of the forum.

We would like your comment on whether you like the idea of the logo. We would also like to hear if you believe there are other members deserving of recognition based on significant technical input.

The more comment we receive from you, the better the award system will work.

Thank you.

The Admin team.

TomsSVX 04-14-2008 07:09 PM

Joe as I am sure you know, the badge is intended to act as an award to those who the staff feels deserves it for their time and contributions..> Similar to the Donation badges which marks financial contribution. Same problem as when they were initially added. Unfortunately some people can and I am sure will look onto those with it with some negativity for some reason or another. I chose to decline it on the basis that we are all here for the same reasons and we are all here to help each other. This being said, I appreciate it in a humble way but feel it may not be appropriate for myself.

Tom

svxistentialist 04-14-2008 07:18 PM

Thanks Tom.

The icon award is meant to recognise and thank people for the volume and quality of their contribution in the past and currently.

It is not meant to embarrass them in any way, and we do appreciate your sensitivity in this.

That's why we have taken the trouble to explain the award, we hope people will understand and appreciate exactly what it is for.

On a personal basis I hope when the general membership respond that you and/or Trevor may reconsider, but we will respect and abide by your decision.

Thank you.

Joe

Landshark 04-14-2008 11:33 PM

i can has award for my totally awesome threads and posts?

subarufamily 04-15-2008 01:13 AM

i feel anyone who logs in or is a lurker can figure out who has good info by reading what they write and how they respond. although i am fond of the stI idea and the car giving the logo to people labels them as important or more informative i feel is not nessacery(sp?). I have given advice and received advice learned alot and read alot and singeling out a person or persons in that fashion is possibily going to cause confusion to the site.

just my opinion

kwren 04-15-2008 01:42 AM

it's spelled...

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarufamily (Post 541556)
i feel anyone who logs in or is a lurker can figure out who has good info by reading what they write and how they respond. although i am fond of the stI idea and the car giving the logo to people labels them as important or more informative i feel is not nessacery(sp?). I have given advice and received advice learned alot and read alot and singeling out a person or persons in that fashion is possibily going to cause confusion to the site.

just my opinion

necessary :D

(I just right clicked on the word and the dictionary spelled it for me)

Is there a badge for that?? Please... Pretty please;)

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 541535)
i can has award for my totally awesome threads and posts?

We're working on it Alan.

Current proposal is for an RTS icon.

Joe

{Return To Sender :p}

:rolleyes:

Trevor 04-15-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarufamily (Post 541556)

just my opinion

This reinforces the opinions I have previously posted. Why has this thread been started leaving out previous relative posts? :confused:

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 04:05 AM

This thread was started with an open invitation to all members to submit their opinion on the award of the STI logo.

In addition Trevor the logo was designed primarily as a thank you to those who have given selflessly of their time and knowledge. This had not been explained fully in the "Changes" thread, and it was just as important to outline what the award was not about, as there was quite a danger of people erroneously putting their own interpretation on what it meant.

Primarily the thread is a request for feedback, and all points of view will be taken on board.

Joe

Trevor 04-15-2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 541571)
This thread was started with an open invitation to all members to submit their opinion on the award of the STI logo.

In addition Trevor the logo was designed primarily as a thank you to those who have given selflessly of their time and knowledge. This had not been explained fully in the "Changes" thread, and it was just as important to outline what the award was not about, as there was quite a danger of people erroneously putting their own interpretation on what it meant.

Primarily the thread is a request for feedback, and all points of view will be taken on board.

Joe

You have a problem Joe, as in fairness the logo will have to be more or less universal. :D

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 541572)
You have a problem Joe, as in fairness the logo will have to be more or less universal. :D

Yeah, Trevor, we know you are right about that, but we don't actually see it as a major problem.

It will be a "one size fits all" thing, and the only thing we need as a decider will be the lower threshold, i.e. what volume and quality of help to the Network qualifies.

This is far from impossible to implement. Just as an example, somebody who writes one How To might not qualify, but somebody who writes three important ones probably would, or possibly somebody who writes one How To plus other invaluable input.

It will be subjective because it has to be, but we intend with the judgment and feedback of many that it will be fair.

We also do not foresee many people getting the award, otherwise it would be meaningless.

Joe ;)

RSVX 04-15-2008 06:35 AM

Let me just add, that we had a similar situation with the donation icons, we had a user request that their donation icon be removed.

We had no problem with this what-so-ever. And the same applies here.

We know that not everyone can or will donate financially, and we wanted to recognize those that give in a non financial way.

Please, keep the feedback coming.

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 541557)
necessary :D

(I just right clicked on the word and the dictionary spelled it for me)

Is there a badge for that?? Please... Pretty please;)

We'll think about it Keith. ;)

What do you think about the STI logo idea?

Joe :)

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 08:33 AM

Sorry Keith, I have just read your very positive post in the Technical STI Emblem thread.

Thank you for relaying your opinion.

Actually even calling it the Technical STI emblem is over emphasising the technical bit.

We ran with the word technical because it is already there in the Subaru Sti logo, so in a way it is coincidental. But taking it further, most How tos and modifications and responses to help people, they are 99% technical in nature anyway.

That's why we used the pun, Significant Technical Input. But the main focus is on recognising Significant Input of various kinds. This is a recognition of much time spent by dedicated and helpful people who are committed to helping SVX owners.

It's just coincidental that much of the useful help tends to be technical.

Landshark 04-15-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 541624)
We ran with the word technical because it is already there in the Subaru Sti logo, so in a way it is coincidental. But taking it further, most How tos and modifications and responses to help people, they are 99% technical in nature anyway.

That's why we used the pun, Significant Technical Input. But the main focus is on recognising Significant Input of various kinds. This is a recognition of much time spent by dedicated and helpful people who are committed to helping SVX owners.

It's just coincidental that much of the useful help tends to be technical.

makes a little more sense now - i was wondering what the hell "STI" had to do with the SVX, other than the Subaru association.

that is a fine list of people that has been assembled, BTW.

svxistentialist 04-15-2008 09:26 AM

Thanks Alan

I would not be surprised if at some stage every one of our members has been helped or informed by one or more of that group.

We are proud to have them aboard.

Joe

kwren 04-15-2008 10:01 AM

The STI Logo?? I think...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 541618)
We'll think about it Keith. ;)

What do you think about the STI logo idea?

A STI for spelling!!!!!!.........YES!
I would go for it but everyone would have to promise not to cheat and pull up our great spell checker.

Please us know as soon as the decision is made?

Sincerely,
Keith

Landshark 04-15-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 541646)
Thanks Alan

I would not be surprised if at some stage every one of our members has been helped or informed by one or more of that group.

We are proud to have them aboard.

Joe

a majority of that list has definitely helped me in the past. :)

It's Just Eric 04-16-2008 12:08 AM

...landshark...did someone steal your computer or something? Two posts, and no sarcasm, off color comments, or otherwise off topic and / or contrivercial input? Im shocked!

Anyhow, the badges are nice and well thought out, but honestly, Im going to say its pretty obvious who has made the most contributions and for what reasons. it really isnt necicarry but it is nice none the less

svxistentialist 04-16-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 541954)
...landshark...did someone steal your computer or something? Two posts, and no sarcasm, off color comments, or otherwise off topic and / or contrivercial input? Im shocked!

Anyhow, the badges are nice and well thought out, but honestly, Im going to say its pretty obvious who has made the most contributions and for what reasons. it really isnt necicarry but it is nice none the less

That's what we're into, being nice.

:p :rolleyes:

Joe :D

RSVX 04-16-2008 06:40 AM

I think that the original plan when this was first suggested was to have "something else" go along with it, all be it more PM space or whatever. But we arent to that point, yet.

svxistentialist 04-16-2008 07:15 AM

Yeah Chris, YT asked for more space as well.

These things are in the pipeline, along with a few more frills, but are taking a little longer than we expected.

They are coming though.

Joe

ensteele 04-16-2008 04:53 PM

I know YT asked for more space, but after all, "It's Just Tom" :lol: - not to be confused with "It's Just Eric" :rolleyes:

Landshark 04-16-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 541954)

i am not a monster. i may have had a fever the other day, though, you jagoff. :p :D