The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Aluminum Radiators with 5 pass trans cooler! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22659)

Chris 11-15-2004 09:01 AM

Aluminum Radiators with 5 pass trans cooler!

BREAKING NEWS!

I need 20 people with radiator cracks/problems!
I have made a deal with a company called PWR Performance. They make radiators and intercoolers. They come highly recommended. Not only will the people who order these radiators get a hassle free install and years of trouble free use, PWR will fabricate a high efficiency 5 pass transmission heat exchanger in the lower tank. This will be an ALL ALUMINUM radiator (no plastic tanks). Your car AND your tranny will thank you.

The pad news is that we need 20 orders for them to invest the time to fabricate a drop in, high performance radiator. Cost will be $450 shipped to your door (or shop) in the United States. I will inquire about you Canada guys. Anyone outside the US can PM me and I will forward on your shipping question. For that matter, any and all questions should be PM’ed to me and I will forward to the contact. Their website can be viewed at:

http://www.pwr-performance.com

So, come on! Lets get the next piece of the puzzle for our SVX’s fabricated.
Even if you don’t need one now, just think how the shiny aluminum will look under the hood.
:D

Chris 11-15-2004 09:04 AM

Signed up for ONE radiator!
Possibly two. (in limbo until the 18th)

drivemusicnow 11-15-2004 09:22 AM

Would the tranny cooler replace the need for an aftermarket cooler?? you might talk to dayle too.. seeing as how he had a link on his website for a radiator.. but it was like "coming soon" or something like that

Chris 11-15-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Would the tranny cooler replace the need for an aftermarket cooler?? you might talk to dayle too.. seeing as how he had a link on his website for a radiator.. but it was like "coming soon" or something like that
In my opinion, yes. The factory cooler is very poor and only a 2 pass. This is/will be a 5 pass and designed for heavier vehicles than ours AND towing. I will however pass this question along to the fab shop and post a reply.

TomsSVX 11-15-2004 09:59 AM

deffinate maybe from me, i need a radiator and i will let u know by the end of the week. how long will it take to get these? time is not really an issue as long as i can patch mine for now.

BordeauxComet 11-15-2004 10:42 AM

Too bad I just replaced mine a few months ago... I would have definitely been interested.

I really hope you get 20 people though.

AFBeefcake 11-15-2004 10:45 AM

interested, but I don't know if i'll have the money in time.

cdigerlando 11-15-2004 12:36 PM

Radiator

I don't know if you remember, but I tried organizing one of these purchases a while ago. Not much interest. Yes, I am interested. C&R was going to build one for me anyway. The trouble we ran into was the bottom bracket design. It would need to be cut off in order to fit a standard radiator in that location, and new brackets made. Also I have an external tranny cooler, which I think anyone replacing a radiator should do for this car. Makes the project less complicated.

alltrac 11-15-2004 02:38 PM

Radiator group buy

1. Chris
2. alltrac most definitely YES

TomsSVX 11-15-2004 03:32 PM

once again ill ask when would they be available. I need one now and if i cant get it for 6-10 weeks i will not be able to buy it. a time estimate would be appreciated

immortal_suby 11-15-2004 04:36 PM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby

star52 11-15-2004 04:57 PM

I NEED ONE RIGHT NOW

star52 11-15-2004 05:01 PM

Time line

I posted above, what time should we expect to have the unit available?

Chris 11-15-2004 06:52 PM

Its a large fab shop. I will get time tables tomorrow along the lines of how long it would take. The biggest variable right now is the time it takes to get their minimum order lined up.

star52 11-15-2004 08:37 PM

Need 1992 ASAP car down see post above

1992 , drop in? time frame and how many do we have as of now?

THAWA 11-15-2004 08:51 PM

how long is this going to last?

and do they anodize end caps? How much more would that be if they do it?

ensteele 11-15-2004 10:20 PM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele

Chris 11-15-2004 10:48 PM

Re: Need 1992 ASAP car down see post above

Quote:

Originally posted by star52
1992 , drop in? time frame and how many do we have as of now?
Four have been confirmed so for with several possibles. 16 to go.

As for as fit, it should be a drop in replacement for all SVX's, 1992-1997.

manofmayo 11-15-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele

so Earl....will that be 1 or 7?

Chris 11-16-2004 01:54 AM

I am fairly sure that once the batch of 20 is done, further orders of about 5 at a time can be done. They just want to make sure they get their money for time investment for CNC work and jig manufacturing. We are alsking alot and I dont feel as if their request of 20 at first is to bad. Look at it from their side, we want a few radiators made for a vehicle that is no longer produced. Top it off with the fact that when it was produced, the numbers were quite limited.

I will ship off my radiator to them when we reach 15 and it looks good to hit the 20 mark. I am sure for you people that are on the happier side of credit, VISA and MC will be taken. I will inquire in the morning about all optinons like Discover and AMEX.

joe2rule 11-16-2004 05:39 AM

Re: Radiator

Quote:

Originally posted by cdigerlando
I don't know if you remember, but I tried organizing one of these purchases a while ago. Not much interest. Yes, I am interested. C&R was going to build one for me anyway. The trouble we ran into was the bottom bracket design. It would need to be cut off in order to fit a standard radiator in that location, and new brackets made. Also I have an external tranny cooler, which I think anyone replacing a radiator should do for this car. Makes the project less complicated.
Can you post pics so we can see what external tranny cooler looks like?

star52 11-16-2004 06:02 AM

add me to your group

I am a definate buyer if the deal makes in the near future.

Chris 11-16-2004 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Radiator

Quote:

Originally posted by joe2rule

Can you post pics so we can see what external tranny cooler looks like?

The trans cooler is internal (in the lower radiator tank). The factory cooler is only a one pass, ie the fluid comes in on the left of the tank, passes to the right, then back the the left and out. The new one will either be a 4 or 5 pass. 5 would be better, but it also would mean a minor hose extension on the return line to the tranny. Will inquire about some pictures of some of their other work similar to our application.

joe2rule 11-16-2004 07:51 AM

Great thanks!

Look forward to the pics! :-)

AFBeefcake 11-16-2004 07:59 AM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele
5. AFBeefcake

I'm in now

ensteele 11-16-2004 08:20 AM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele
5. AFBeefcake
6. star52

If you will buy, your name down. The sooner we get the names, the sooner this will happen. :)

Chris 11-16-2004 09:30 AM

Answers to posted questions + more good news

ANSWERS!
Clint at PWR performance provided these answers today:

Time table, 5-6 weeks before shipping. (we are going to do out best to speed this up, the core radiator will ship out to them for measurments on Thursday this week!)

Credit cards: AMEX, Visa, MC (Sorry, no Discovery)

Drop in replacement: Yes. Attention to detail on this build will result in a nice easy drop in replacement.

Added coolant capacity: Yes, about 1 quart.

Anodized? Unknown. All the aluminum radiators will come in standard finish. He is however going to look into custom anodized tanks and cost for those who request interest.

Pics: He suggests to view their website.
PWR Performance (USA site)

Need for aftermarket external transcooler: He says the cooler in the lower tank of the new radiators is more than plenty for our application. He noted two more things. Secondary aftermarket coolers could not hurt & the in radiator coolers/heat exchangers provide for better cooling and temp control.

Shipping to Canada: Forgot to ask, sorry. Will email him with the question.

After the initial batch run of 20, they will keep some in stock. From then on, we will have a source for quality aftermarket replacements!!!!

TomsSVX 11-16-2004 10:06 AM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele
5. AFBeefcake
6. star52
7. Tomssvx

Chris 11-16-2004 10:12 AM

Since I started this, I will deal with the first trial fit and check for problems. I will also document the whole thing and ask Clint at PWR for assembly pictures. Will also request pictures of our crappy transcooler in the lower tank.

I am excited! How about you? Been a while since a major development in SVX aftermarket parts. I just wish I got in on the carbon-fiber hoods :(

star52 11-16-2004 11:56 AM

92 SVX for the list

92 SVX for the list-previously posted to purchase.

TomsSVX 11-16-2004 01:31 PM

Re: 92 SVX for the list

Quote:

Originally posted by star52
92 SVX for the list-previously posted to purchase.
what??

Earthworm 11-16-2004 04:09 PM

Just ensure they are well aware that the new radiator core CAN NOT be any thicker than stock or else it will not be a drop-in replacement. Any thicker and you will have problems with anything between the radiator and the A/C condensor (like tranny coolers or the power steering cooler). On the other side you would have problems with installing the fans.

It's too bad we can't just get aluminum tanks made for our stock cores.

immortal_suby 11-16-2004 05:51 PM

Chris - I have a spare radiator with a cracked top tank if they need it for R&D or anything. Let me know tonight if you can - it is going out with the garbage tomorrow.

Thanks a ton for taking on this project. :D

TomsSVX 11-16-2004 06:02 PM

running N02? Plan on buying ECUtune's stage 3 kit? well you might want to invest in this radiator. It will protect against those harsher conditions better than our OEM radiators. I am sure some of you also have cracked tanks that you have repaired. How long will it last, do you want to trust that on a trip? well buy into this one. Come on we need some more people to make this happen some time soon if at all.

TomsSVX 11-16-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm

It's too bad we can't just get aluminum tanks made for our stock cores.

has anyone tried to do this? it sounds like a good idea and not too hard, fabing the aluminum would be the worst part, but it doesn't need to be pretty right? well for some people it does. anyway i might try it for fun once i get a new one.

Duckie 11-16-2004 07:49 PM

Count me in, 100 percent sure.

TomsSVX 11-16-2004 08:26 PM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele
5. AFBeefcake
6. star52
7. Tomssvx
8. Duckie

I like progress

THAWA 11-16-2004 09:11 PM

I'll be in if we can get anodized black endtanks.

THAWA 11-16-2004 09:13 PM

BTW, did you guys look at the prices for the other makes? 450 shipped is a deal and a half compared to some of the other prices.

Chris 11-17-2004 09:10 AM

1. Chris
3. immortal_suby
4. ensteele
5. AFBeefcake
6. star52
7. Tomssvx
8. Duckie

More?? Please??