The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Epic Sparkplug Fail (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44760)

Manarius 05-13-2008 04:41 PM

Epic Sparkplug Fail

So, I was doing the plugs today - the passenger side back and driver side back were definitely the worst as they usually are. However, the passenger side back had a special treat for me.
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5...98smalloa9.jpg
That's my extension pushed through the access hole. It should be straight - instead it's cocked at an angle. For some reason, the plugs don't line up on the passenger side. Epic access hole fail. I had to do the passenger side back one by hand and let me tell you it was a pain. I finally got the plugs done though. Car drives much better it seems.

I also did the driver's side without the access hole. Again, a major pain.

TomsSVX 05-13-2008 05:11 PM

Only the driver's side has the access hole. The pass side has just enough clearance to use a spark plug socket and a 3" extension.

Tom

Manarius 05-13-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 547343)
Only the driver's side has the access hole. The pass side has just enough clearance to use a spark plug socket and a 3" extension.

Tom

Not really. Trust me, I tried. I did a lot of hand turning - good thing I have smaller hands.

SubaruSVXCrazy 05-13-2008 06:08 PM

Yea doing plugs on a boxer is a pain. Platinum FTW!

Manarius 05-13-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 547351)
Yea doing plugs on a boxer is a pain. Platinum FTW!

Only with DOHC. The SOHC engines have 45deg plugs which are oh so easy.

immortal_suby 05-13-2008 07:46 PM

Did the plugs on the wife's FXT sunday and it sucked almost as much as the svx. No access holes. Dropped the ratchet into the bellypan at least 47 times.
I did like that the wires for each coil unplugged at the coil. It should make all 4 coils interchangeable.

immortal_suby 05-13-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 547370)
Only with DOHC. The SOHC engines have 45deg plugs which are oh so easy.

I used to change the plugs, cap, and rotor on my little red wagon just for fun on a saturday. :D There was so much room to work in that engine bay, you could put a spare tire in there.

JLHollowX13 05-13-2008 10:20 PM

i couldnt believe how hard it was to change the svx plugs..... and to think that i didnt even know there was an access hole on the drivers side!!!!!! man, i think i might change them again this weekend just so i can try it out haha.

it took me an hour or 2, the passenger side was a breeze, but the 2 rear drivers side ones where the biggest pain!

subiedo 05-14-2008 12:41 PM

I'm a little surprised although I had read about the access issues before. When I swapped plugs, the drivers side rear was the stinker but a short extension with a flexible "knuckle" worked great. Think I had them replaced in a tad over 1 hour which was less time / frustration than the (Ford) Aerostar 4.0 litre generated. It may be a pain if I do them again (cuz I'm starting to think I had some luck when I did them) but buying the ($$) Iridium plugs should extend time between changes considerably.

tiv0 05-14-2008 12:50 PM

i feel everyone's pain
i changed my plugs recently, only 5 though
i honestly could not get the driver's side rear
didnt try the access hole, just didnt have the time
the plugs i replaced werent that bad, so leaving that one in there really wont do much damage

Manarius 05-14-2008 02:38 PM

So now, my car stumbles even worse then it did before. New Iridium plugs that stumble. Great....

Hocrest 05-14-2008 02:51 PM

How were the coils?

Any tears in the boots or insulation pulled away exposing bare wires?

Manarius 05-14-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 547491)
How were the coils?

Any tears in the boots or insulation pulled away exposing bare wires?

Coils looked brand new. Insulation pulled away? Yes.

Should I have done some sort of relearn procedure? I didn't think to do it at the time.

Hocrest 05-14-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 547494)
Coils looked brand new. Insulation pulled away? Yes.

Should I have done some sort of relearn procedure? I didn't think to do it at the time.

If the insulation was pulled away exposing metal, that is probably your problem. I've used the putty epoxy to build up little areas to keep the wire separated. Make sure you use one with no conductivity.

Manarius 05-14-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 547496)
If the insulation was pulled away exposing metal, that is probably your problem. I've used the putty epoxy to build up little areas to keep the wire separated. Make sure you use one with no conductivity.

I didn't see any metal, just wire. Hence I wasn't worried. Black insulation was pulled away to show red wire.