The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   They're still out there. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65115)

Ron Mummert 10-28-2020 10:13 PM

They're still out there.

Yesterday, while on a westward jaunt in the Miata seeking some Blue Ridge top down fall foliage gawking, I'm approached from the opposite side of a 4 lane road by the unmistakable car with funny windows. With both of us going at highway speeds, I figured he'd be long gone, but as the rearview mirror showed an SVX blinker, & he (I assumed "he") was turning on what looked to be a gravel road (it was). So, WTF....I made U-turn at a convenient cross-over, & chased after my prey, which was now conveniently stopped at a metal gate blocking the gravel road's access. The driver (a "he") had gotten out of the SVX to unlock the gate. Turned out it was the entrance to his residence. So, as he may have wondered why an old fart in a Miata would be chasing after him, I quickly explained that I had "one o' these" & his was the first one I'd seen in this rural part of Virginny in probably 5 years. He was delighted, & if covid weren't lurking we would have shaken hands at this point. So, we exchanged the usual SVX conversation topics. His name is Lloyd, in his mid-40s I'd guess, & inherited the car from his dad who bought it new (It's a '94 I believe) & had 194K on it. And, he loved it. It was a bit rough in the paint department, & the wing looked to be from some other car, and the stock wheels were on backwards, which we joked about. But, he'd never joined any on-line groups, & got service work done by a local Suby mechanic. So, I told him about the Reading meets, & gave him an SVX.net club card. We smiled (kept our social distance maskless), & bid adieu. So, the moral of the story might be that perhaps tucked away in faraway places, we might still find a few of our babies, still being appreciated without all the fanfare. Ron. (coming up on 20 years of SVX ownership):eek:

Trevor 10-28-2020 10:48 PM

Re: They're still out there.

Nice little story Ronald.

Have not seen one when on the road in my MX5 Miata down this way for a very very long time, even when discharging rich gas. LOL Pleased you had the top down. Number three son has been using my sunshine Mazda recently, always with the sissy contrivance erected, i.e. top up and providing shade for those in doubt. Bloody hell, does not know when or if his backside is on fire. LLOL

Keep gassing on with joy, Trevor.

Ron Mummert 10-29-2020 06:25 PM

Keep gassing on with joy, Trevor.[/QUOTE]

Never a problem with producing gas at this age, my older kiwi fart friend! :D Over on this side of the pond I'm hoping we can get rid of a certain Dear Leader. Stay healthy! Ron.:)

Subaru oldtimer 10-30-2020 05:02 PM

I agree that they're still out there. I saw one at work today and went over to look it over. Pretty rough inside and out and as I walked around the car come over to see what I was doing. I told him I had a 96 and we broke into friendly batter and I never really got to see what year (silver/black) got his name but he has two (this one has 131k miles) and is not on any forum or social media. His original was stolen and stripped by a shady towing operator and body shop but he likes them so much he got his second (green) from a pick n pull before it was stripped and then got this one later. Told me he has new seat coverings and was going to get it painted next year. Both of us needed to get going so perhaps the next time I see him I can get some details.

So there are 2 I don't think any of us knew about.

ZoraSVX 11-01-2020 07:01 PM

That's awesome - always good to see one in the wild. I don't think I've *ever* seen one, unless you count the time I a) saw one in the showroom in '92 and b) met up with a network member in 2020 expressly for the purpose of seeing his SVX. Which is kind of crazy when you think about it. Now, granted, I've only started keeping my eye extra peeled fairly recently, but I'm sure if I saw one previously, I'd still remember.

ensteele 11-14-2020 07:58 PM

Yes, it is exciting to see one out and about. :)