The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Power steering pump failed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50527)

immortal_suby 06-07-2009 07:40 AM

Power steering pump failed

Noticed a big puddle of ATF under the front end Friday when I came out from a store. Steering felt a little notchy and stiff but it got me home. I figured it was the O-ring.

Got home and let it cool. Pulled the belt off and turned the pulley by hand. It was not very smooth. Ruh-roh. The pump is toasted. The fluid was puking out from behind the pulley. Big mess.

But - luckily on my old engine there was a spare power steering pump intact :)
Cleaned it up and installed it. Took a little while to get the steering smooth again. Almost a quart of fluid went in. But it's working smoothly now.

I love happy endings. :)

gbianchi 06-08-2009 06:47 PM

Re: Power steering pump failed

Its always gratifiing to fix a problem with parts in hand, those are the best fixes IMO...G

ensteele 06-08-2009 08:43 PM

I have one that seems to be on the way out. It isn't very common for this to happen. Like you said, it is usually the O-ring. :)

wawazat?? 06-10-2009 03:15 PM

Sucks Matt. Glad you had a back-up;)

immortal_suby 06-10-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat?? (Post 604578)
Sucks Matt. Glad you had a back-up;)

Thanks Todd! :lol:

I honestly can't remember which pump I had on it. I don't remember if I swapped pumps when I swapped engines or not. I'm inclined to think I did swap pumps because I knew my original pump was good then and my original pump is now the one that failed and the one on the engine you sold to me is the replacement.

In any event, I'm driving! :D

ensteele 06-10-2009 08:30 PM

Driving is good! :)

immortal_suby 03-02-2010 08:00 PM

Argh!
Pump #2 puked today on my way to work.
Found one at a local scrapyard for $85. Made it there and home and just now finished installing it.

I need to dig up that how-to and learn to rebuild these. And I need to learn how to purge the system in case I have some metal shavings somewhere that could be killing the pumps.

The huge metric O-ring set I bought at harbor freight a while back is coming in handy lately....

SilverSpear 03-03-2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 636843)
Argh!
Found one at a local scrapyard for $85. Made it there and home and just now finished installing it.

Ouch bad luck! What are the odds? :o

Quote:

to purge the system in case I have some metal shavings somewhere that could be killing the pumps.

Naaaa, it's the way you drive :p

J/K :lol:

lhopp77 03-03-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Argh!

I need to dig up that how-to and learn to rebuild these. And I need to learn how to purge the system in case I have some metal shavings somewhere that could be killing the pumps.

The huge metric O-ring set I bought at harbor freight a while back is coming in handy lately....

There's been some recent discussion on this at the site below. It provides the pump diagram and parts needed. Earl says he has the How-To document.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53292

You need to add the tank O-Ring also listed in the thread.

Lee

Mike621 03-04-2010 07:24 AM

How many failed pumps?

... FIVE! :o