The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Master Cylinder Brace (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63547)

theflystyle 07-02-2015 10:47 AM

Master Cylinder Brace

Just wondering if anyone knows of something that would work for the SVX. This upgrade is a big bang for the buck with other Subarus so I would be interested in one for the SVX.

Here is a link to one made by GrimmSpeed for the Legacy/WRX

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server50...u_08_300_4.jpg

http://www.grimmspeed.com/master-cyl...9-12-forester/

Someone with some metal fab skills could make some money off these :)

svxfiles 07-02-2015 08:52 PM

Re: Master Cylinder Brace

Do you have stainless steel lines?

SVXRide 07-04-2015 09:09 AM

Given that the SVX's firewall is essentially a "boat bulkhead", the benefit of this brace is marginal, at best (same reason the SVX doesn't benefit from a shock tower cross brace)

Bill

svxfiles 07-04-2015 09:16 AM

Yesterday I had a friend push very hard on my Claret breake pedal while I watched the master cylinder.
He pushed both slowly and fast as if in a panic brake application.
I REALLY don't think it moved 0.02".
I could make a brace, but it sure looks like we do not need it!

bishop 07-04-2015 12:19 PM

I'm gonna have to argue with this, when I did the test for flex I had quite a bit of movement of my firewall. I may take this up to road to my neighbor that owns a fab shop and have him build one to fit.

svxfiles 07-04-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop (Post 740974)
I'm gonna have to argue with this, when I did the test for flex I had quite a bit of movement of my firewall. I may take this up to road to my neighbor that owns a fab shop and have him build one to fit.

I see that you have a 5 speed.
sending pm

theflystyle 07-04-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 740961)
Do you have stainless steel lines?

That I do. I am looking to find more ways to improve my braking without breaking the bank. I know this works well for the newer gens with what I would assume to be less likely to flex firewalls. The hope would be the same improvement could be had here.

svxfiles 07-04-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 740978)
That I do. I am looking to find more ways to improve my braking without braking the bank. I know this works well for the newer gens with what I would assume to be less likely to flex firewalls. The hope would be the same improvement could be had here.

I THINK that another SVX Racer will be here tomorrow, (Bill, its Bill ) someone who Both races SVXi and owns several,
(again Bill, DO NOT TELL HIS WIFE!:eek:)
so we, (that would be me and Bill from NASA!)
can test this further with an experienced SVX driver can check out several SVXi and quantify our results!:D

NASA guys say quantify ALL of the time!:p

More on this later, if the mystery guest shows up.:rolleyes:

SVXRide 07-05-2015 07:54 PM

But that 5 spd will probably end up a DD 😉

The 5spd that's here is a cable unit, not hydraulic, so I haven't weakened the firewall by cutting any holes in it for a booster.

Is everything tightened up well on your firewall? If anything is loose, it will obviously flex when applying pressure

Bill (safe in the knowledge that his wife does not check the network...)

svxfiles 07-05-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 740992)
Is everything tightened up well on your firewall? If anything is loose, it will obviously flex when applying pressure

But that 5 spd will probably end up a DD ��

The 5spd that's here is a cable unit, not hydraulic, so I haven't weakened the firewall by cutting any holes in it for a booster.

Bill (safe in the knowledge that his wife does not check the network...)

So, Bill what is Jackies E-Mail again?:eek:
The Racer sure could use a new set of slicks!;)

Yes boys and girls, this IS called blackmail!:eek:

1986nate 07-06-2015 12:52 PM

From a Business standpoint, there isn't money to be made. Might sell about 5. And as stated, the SVX firewall structure AND thickness is much more robust (as is just about everything) compared to all other Subarus.

svxfiles 07-06-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 741014)
From a Business standpoint, there isn't money to be made. Might sell about 5. And as stated, the SVX firewall structure AND thickness is much more robust (as is just about everything) compared to all other Subarus.

For that matter you could just cut out a section of SVX firewall from a scrapped one, sandwich it into place and put an extra four bolts in the outer edges.
Again, just sayin.....

svxcess 07-06-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 740978)
I am looking to find more ways to improve my braking without breaking the bank.

ZIP-TIES!!! From 11 years ago.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...90&postcount=1

theflystyle 07-06-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 741017)
For that matter you could just cut out a section of SVX firewall from a scrapped one, sandwich it into place and put an extra four bolts in the outer edges.
Again, just sayin.....

Interesting idea. That sounds more feasible for someone like me to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 741019)

Wow.....

Part of me wishes that's just for laughs but I know better.

Back to the brace. I am glad to hear the firewall is beefier than other Subaru models but I wish I could at least do a before/after comparison. If anything this will serve as a reference for any future searches.

svxfiles 07-06-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 741021)
Interesting idea. That sounds more feasible for someone like me to try.

Wow.....

Part of me wishes that's just for laughs but I know better.

Back to the brace. I am glad to hear the firewall is beefier than other Subaru models but I wish I could at least do a before/after comparison. If anything this will serve as a reference for any future searches.

OK, open your hood and have someone you trust push as hard as they can on the brake pedal whily you watch for ANY movement of the master cylinder
Let me/us know what happens,..