The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Qaulity / Differences with Clear Lens from various sources? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56835)

Subix 03-21-2011 07:05 PM

Qaulity / Differences with Clear Lens from various sources?

Between Small Car Lens and the SVX Motosports Warehouse, can anyone comment on the differences/quality between the two and which one I should go with?

Sean486 03-21-2011 08:43 PM

Re: Qaulity / Differences with Clear Lens from various sources?

Are they different? I kind of thought they were the same product.

Subix 03-21-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 671616)
Are they different? I kind of thought they were the same product.

I don't know... I guess that's what I'm asking....

Freeman 03-21-2011 09:01 PM

From what I understand, Smallcar kit is a little more thick than Motorsport but both are a pain to install..

Manarius 03-21-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 671620)
From what I understand, Smallcar kit is a little more thick than Motorsport but both are a pain to install..

Both involve hacking up your original headlights. After having seen them in person, I don't think I would ever go through the effort to do that mod. Cleaning up the lenses with sanding is a much cheaper method and doesn't ruin the flouting of the lens for the high beam and fog lamp.

redlightningsvx 03-22-2011 05:43 PM

Go to my cardomain page in my sig and look at my lenses. Just sand them good and put some uv resistant automotive clear on them.

Subix 03-22-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 671689)
Go to my cardomain page in my sig and look at my lenses. Just sand them good and put some uv resistant automotive clear on them.

I would like to but I fear I would screw something up plus I don't have the tools to do it. How much would someone charge to do them for me, permitting I send them my headlights and paid for shipping both ways of course, after that.

The headlights are hideous.

icingdeath88 03-22-2011 10:02 PM

My white car came with the smallcar ones (and bluish HIDS, which went very well with them) and I thought they looked great, and I actually had a lot of people compliment them. Some pics in the link in my sig. I should also point out that they'd probably look odd if you only do the headlights and not the blinkers, and that the blinkers aren't quite as clean looking since they have to have a thin piece of foam around them to fit snug. Also they had started to get hazy after being on there for some years and I polished them up with one of the 3M kits. I would have liked to clearcoat them, but I don't have painting supplies.

Edit: also highly recommend some orangy-amber LEDs instead of bulbs for the blinkers. That way when they're off, there's no yellow in the front of the car at all. You'd also need resistors so they don't hyperblink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 671722)
I would like to but I fear I would screw something up plus I don't have the tools to do it. How much would someone charge to do them for me, permitting I send them my headlights and paid for shipping both ways of course, after that.

The headlights are hideous.

You and I could probably work something out since I've been meaning to do this to my blue car since the ones on my white car were pretty much destroyed in the accident. Also I have an extra pair of headlights. Highly recommend also doing the blinkers though. What grill do you have? Clear lenses would make the waterfall grill look weird I think.

Subix 03-22-2011 10:29 PM

Nice :) Yea, I would want to have the watergrill sanded down too to have it look clear as well. I'm not sure who it was here but someone had sanded down the headlights so much they became clear with no lines or anything... so I suppose the same could be accomplished with the watergrill?

Hyper blinking doesn't seem so bad ;)

icingdeath88 03-22-2011 10:52 PM

He sanded down the fluting on the inside of the lenses. The waterfall grill would be more difficult. Hyper blinking's not so bad, but resistors are an easy and quick fix. Just gotta guess the right wattage.

Freeman 03-23-2011 08:09 AM

Don't think for a second that the sanding option is easy at all. Read the post. It took nearly eight hours and nearly bloody hands to accomplish.

kwren 03-23-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 671757)
Don't think for a second that the sanding option is easy at all. Read the post. It took nearly eight hours and nearly bloody hands to accomplish.

Life is supposed to be easy:confused:

Freeman, this project is one of those "survival of the fittest" things!!

Seriously, there are thin covers that can be applied without destroying your car that I got several months back, more than a year I would guess, from information from the guy that knows just about everything about our cars... Mr. svxfiles. The thin "plastic", for a better word, covers have been great. Forgot they were on there.

Keith:cool: