The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Master Lock Steering wheel lock (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28705)

svxstarship 09-30-2005 05:38 PM

Master Lock Steering wheel lock

After reading various posts about svx's being ripped off I decided I would buy a steering wheel lock. So I bought a "Master Lock" brand at Walmart the other night. The kind with that uses the circular key. Decided to try that "trick" to unlock it with a certain brand of pen (won't mention it hear). To my suprise it works just about as easy as using the real key! And they are offering a $1000.00 anti-theft guarantee!! So if anyone is thinking of getting a steering wheel lock you might want to avoid this one.

Earthworm 09-30-2005 05:43 PM

So did you return the lock? I use "The Club" with a normal key.

p.s. I've seen that video too.

svxstarship 09-30-2005 05:57 PM

Going to return it next week. I think I'll get the "club". I took another look at you accident pics today. It just doesn't look that bad. Hope they don't decide to declare it a "total loss".

svxcess 09-30-2005 06:07 PM

But the $1000 guarantee is valid only if the lock was physically broken or any of the components failed. The lock did not fail, or was not broken, so it is not covered by their Protection Program. Once the pen is removed, there is no evidence that the lock was ever broken into. You are screwed if it happens.

This whole thing started with the Kryptonite Evolution bike lock and is chronicled HERE. The video can be found here as well.

Since this discovery, Kryptonite has instituted a massive recall to replace these locks on units already sold, or give them free to existing customers on an exchange basis. Other lock makers are expected to follow suit.

Earthworm 09-30-2005 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
I took another look at you accident pics today. It just doesn't look that bad. Hope they don't decide to declare it a "total loss".

It's NOT bad. The problem is with the cost of replacing the entire airbag system. Check out how much a dealer in Canada wants for both airbags, both sensors and the control unit! :eek:

...and that doesn't include laboUr for ripping the dash apart.

Beav 09-30-2005 06:46 PM

Save your money and buy better insurance. The Club is a joke. Steering wheels are soft to absorb your body blow in an accident. A hacksaw blade (about fifteen seconds) or bolt cutters (about 1-2 seconds) make quick work of a steering wheel and render the Club, or anything like it, useless. If someone wants your car they're going to take it.

The upside is a SVX is relatively rare and easily noticeable. Pros go for common, late model cars they can sell parts from. Best bet: Lojack.

svxstarship 10-01-2005 06:35 PM

I bought both (used) airbags and the controller for 600.00 usd including shipping. I did check out the dealer price first, ouch! And in Quebec, where I bought the car, you must, by law, purchase new airbags at the dealer. Manitoba?? In Ontario where I am plating the car you can install used bags. The install is quite easy. For the passenger side you just have to remove the glovebox to access the bracket bolts from underneath. The controller under the radio took the most time only due to the slightly tricky connector. I think I'll take Beav's advice regarding the Club. The interior is tan on a 95, right?

Earthworm 10-03-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
I think I'll take Beav's advice regarding the Club. The interior is tan on a 95, right?

My dad's is an "L" model so it's gray interior. I still like the club because if someone is looking for a random car to take the won't take one with a club on it because they won't have a way to cut the steering wheel.

Now if someone is prepared then yes the club will not help.

svxstarship 10-03-2005 05:16 PM

The same place I got my airbags has a gray pair with module for 500.00 usd.

Earthworm 10-03-2005 05:33 PM

Where!!?!! (send me a PM please)

SUBBYRU89 10-03-2005 05:56 PM

I have the bulldog system...as soon as I get it installed I'll let you know what I think, but until then...
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...RU89/30193.jpg

Hocrest 10-04-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBBYRU89
I have the bulldog system...as soon as I get it installed I'll let you know what I think, but until then...
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...RU89/30193.jpg

Your wheels are on backwards :p :p :D

Earthworm 10-07-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Your wheels are on backwards :p :p :D

But the headlights look awesome :D

Chiketkd 10-07-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
But the headlights look awesome :D

:D :D :D