The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   winter storage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15014)

TapperManor 12-12-2003 08:39 PM

winter storage

Well, My SVX is put away for the winter. Is there anything I should do to it before I store it til April?

Is is nessesary to disconnect the battery?

I am concerned about mice. Any way to keep them from nesting and doing damage? I heard to put moth balls, but the smell is so hidious.

Tapper

PS Just got my 88 XT6 on the road!!

Landshark 12-13-2003 04:59 AM

this is a good article - there are many opinions on this subject, and this article actually covers them all.

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

one of the reasons i bought the SVX was because i wanted an all-year sporty car. :) i got tired of the 'garage queen' and the 'winter beater' setup i had.

benebob 12-13-2003 05:38 AM

I wouldn't disconnect the battery. In fact I'd keep it charged and ready to roll. Just in case you would need to move it in a hurry (i.e. fire).

TapperManor 12-13-2003 08:19 AM

Landshark

Thank for the link to the article.......lots of good info!

I hear ya, regarding the all year sports car..............but I don't want the salt to kill my SVX. Plus the XT6 does a better job in it.

benebob

I like your car line-up. I am still looking for a Brat! There is an 86 for sale locally for $1000 I am looking at.

Tapper

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
this is a good article - there are many opinions on this subject, and this article actually covers them all.

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

one of the reasons i bought the SVX was because i wanted an all-year sporty car. :) i got tired of the 'garage queen' and the 'winter beater' setup i had.

Green1995SVX 12-13-2003 10:26 AM

I try to not drive mine in the winter because from looking at cars that have been driven in the winter around here (ie, my RX), it kills them. I love my svx too much to let it rust..

Mike

benebob 12-13-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TapperManor
Landshark

benebob

I like your car line-up. I am still looking for a Brat! There is an 86 for sale locally for $1000 I am looking at.

Tapper

Thanks man they kind of fit all our needs. Is your white XT6 on blocks a parts car? If so how is the pass side door and is it white or Pearl? Mine is rust free but has a dent. I've been in the market for a replacement but havn't come across one yet in a yard.

That's a decent price for a Brat but my advice would be to go south and west for a Brat then Garage it and oil the underside and rockers like mad.

TapperManor 12-13-2003 03:15 PM

The 89 Xt6 I have is very solid. Almost no rust! It is a future project (needs some work), maybe this summer. If I end parting it out, I will let you know. (but I doubt I will)

[The 88 XT6 I am driving now is pretty much a beater. ]

I haven't looked under the Brat yet. It looks fairly solid, with my initial inspection. Where should I look for frame rot, body rot, ect.............. I guess it needs a brake part, something about the fronts and rears braking properly together.

Tapper

{[I know this post got off subject ....o well...}]

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

Thanks man they kind of fit all our needs. Is your white XT6 on blocks a parts car? If so how is the pass side door and is it white or Pearl? Mine is rust free but has a dent. I've been in the market for a replacement but havn't come across one yet in a yard.

That's a decent price for a Brat but my advice would be to go south and west for a Brat then Garage it and oil the underside and rockers like mad.

Mr. Pockets 12-13-2003 03:22 PM

I keep my SVX covered, indoors, during the winter. I do little to prepare it. As a matter of fact, I do practically nothing. I visit the car once a month or so and start it. I let it warm up to normal operating temperature, then I move it around a little so I can park it on a different spot on the tires.

I remembered today that, when I put the SVX away last weekend, I left the security system on. Whoops. That'll drain a good battery in about a month. So I guess I'll have to visit it and turn the alarm off.

benebob 12-13-2003 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TapperManor
The 89 Xt6 I have is very solid. Almost no rust! It is a future project (needs some work), maybe this summer. If I end parting it out, I will let you know. (but I doubt I will)

[The 88 XT6 I am driving now is pretty much a beater. ]

I haven't looked under the Brat yet. It looks fairly solid, with my initial inspection. Where should I look for frame rot, body rot, ect.............. I guess it needs a brake part, something about the fronts and rears braking properly together.

Tapper

{[I know this post got off subject ....o well...}]

Rear wheel well esp around the shock mount, bottoms of the doors and under the rear bumper. Also check under your feet (where the subframe is). Not sure what brake part it needs as it is a normal 2 cylinder set up. Left front, right rear and vise versa. Maybe the rear needs adjusted as they are not self adjusting.