The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tastes like burning (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8595)

Earthworm 02-04-2003 12:24 AM

Tastes like burning

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting find on my car yesterday.

I thought I had a burned out rear side marker light so I went and bought a replacement 194 bulb. I notice the socket was not attached where it's supposed to be. I thought nothing of it and continued to replace the bulb and put the socket in place only to find the socket wouldn't stay in place.

I took a closer look and found out that the socket was burned and became brittle enough to break all the tabs off that hold it in position.

My question is how common is this with our SVX's?

LarryIII 02-04-2003 04:29 AM

David,

I never heard of that one before and I started on the KC SVX site (no longer in existence) about six years ago.

Check all your grounds.

svx_commuter 02-04-2003 05:34 AM

Wrong bulb with too much heat?

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 08:25 AM

I had the same problem (socket was not in place), but, it was due to the fact that the previous owner had not replaced it. The tabs were fine on mine (fortunately). I haven't heard of this being a common problem, however.

Green1995SVX 02-04-2003 08:31 AM

This IS a common problem! When I was taking out my side lights before I got the car painted, BOTH of them broke off because of the burning. I also have a junk yard piece that has the same problem.

Here is my theory: Those side lights were not designed to be lighted. In Japan, they are just reflectors, and have no bulb in them. The design was modified for the US/CDN markets, and the people who modified the design didnt make a large enough area for which the bulb to sit, thus causing heat to collect in the small area (making it hot hot hot).

Whew... That's the most ive thought about anything since... ehh i dont feel like thinking about it. ;)

Mike

Green1995SVX 02-04-2003 08:32 AM

Oh and if you were going for a Ralphism, it should be "Tastes like burnding." He puts a "d" in there. :)

Mike

Seraph 02-04-2003 08:39 AM

I think it is fairly common. All my 3 SVXes had that problem with one or both side of the light. I use duct tape to hold it in.

L

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
This IS a common problem! When I was taking out my side lights before I got the car painted, BOTH of them broke off because of the burning. I also have a junk yard piece that has the same problem.

Here is my theory: Those side lights were not designed to be lighted. In Japan, they are just reflectors, and have no bulb in them. The design was modified for the US/CDN markets, and the people who modified the design didnt make a large enough area for which the bulb to sit, thus causing heat to collect in the small area (making it hot hot hot).

Whew... That's the most ive thought about anything since... ehh i dont feel like thinking about it. ;)

Mike

Note to self: 2 people = "common problem." Hmmmmm. :D

Green1995SVX 02-04-2003 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Note to self: 2 people = "common problem." Hmmmmm. :D

Hey, *******, Lwin had the problem with 3 of his cars. Back off!!! :D :D ;)

EDIT: I cencored myself... famly site, right?

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 08:54 AM

Quote:

EDIT:

Note to self: 5 people = "common problem." Hmmmmm. :D

Seraph 02-04-2003 10:05 AM

5 out of a handful is common all right -- All my cars had that problem.

L

Beav 02-04-2003 10:20 AM

How many does it take to make a quorum?

Mine does too, on the right-rear.

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 10:21 AM

Quote:

EDIT:
Note to self: 6 people = "common problem." Hmmmmm. :D

Keep 'em comin'! :D:D:D

92SvxChick 02-04-2003 10:37 AM

Same problem!

I had the same problem with both of mine in the back. I bought the replacements from Subaru really cheap. Tim at Subaru had said that he had just ordered two for the guy who works at the Subaru Service Dept. with an SVX. So. I guess it is pretty common.

Megan

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Note to self: 8 people = "common problem." Hmmmmm. :D