The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Free BIRDS!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39098)

subi-crosser 05-24-2007 11:29 PM

Free BIRDS!!

This is the time of year when you can get a free bird if you know where to look! We have 'kidnapped' Starlings for the last several years.
You can either kidnap Starlings, shoot Starlings or whatever, because they are not Native to this continent.
No government agency will bust you over a Starling. ( unless you are being mean to it)
As I type this, a Starling named Alex is sitting on my sholder! He will hang out with me for an hour or so, then fly back to his cage and put himself away!
I first heard of Alex, when My eldest daughter called to tell me that a bird had built a nest under her AC unit and she kept hearing, " Shayna, Quit doing that!"
Shayna was at school, and the bird's Mom was repeating what my Grandson Mike said all day.

Yea, They can talk! They mimmic what they hear.
If you don't believe me, try it! Starlings are the best birds to have! Free! Friendly, can talk. this guy is trying to type now! or steal 'blue things', He just took a lap around the room and landed on my hat. Free birds are Kool!!!

The main thing that you have to remember is to turn OFF the ceiling fan!

It helps to keep him as a 'garage 'pet, since he is very hard to 'toilet train'. The rooms that are 'Alix's turf' are 'low maintenance'.
BUT, he's a cool pet to have!

svxistentialist 05-25-2007 02:19 AM

So, Jerry

How many of those voices in your head are starling mimics??:p

;) :D

92svx95 05-25-2007 02:32 AM

:eek: i see alex's,, there everywhere!!! :eek:

b3lha 05-25-2007 02:48 AM

I'm not such a big fan of starlings.

Every year they peck holes up under the eaves of my house. Then they make a nest in my loft and their babies squawk all night long and keep us awake. And we get bitten by bird mites that come down into the house. I've got two nests up there are the moment. I normally wait until the young have left the nest then block up the holes. But I can never get the smell out of the loft. They keep coming back and no matter what I do, I can't get seem to keep them out.

svxistentialist 05-25-2007 03:10 AM

I'm not so gone on them myself.

They are squawky noisy things. However, they are interesting to watch and have handsome iridescent plumage.

I would not encourage them to nest in the eaves, though.

Here, we have a robin's nest inside my boiler shed, a bluetit's nest in the wall box I built for them, a greenfinch nest in a tall evergreen near the house, plus sparrows in the roof of the shed.

In the hedges around the perimeter we have more robins, blackbirds, thrushes and wagtails at various nesting sites. Plus a few different finch types. And coal tits.

It can be noisy enough round here in the early mornings.

:rolleyes: :)

RSVX 05-25-2007 05:16 AM

Pics or Shens.

lhopp77 05-25-2007 07:48 AM

Free Birds

Shoot, I get free birds all the time when I drive. I just don't think they can fly. :rolleyes:

I vote shens.

Lee

Landshark 05-25-2007 08:36 AM

mmmm.....starling nuggets n' honey mustard.

ensteele 05-25-2007 04:13 PM

I love Starlings!!! :)

They taste just like chicken. :rolleyes: :o :D :D

Trevor 05-25-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
I'm not such a big fan of starlings.

Every year they peck holes up under the eaves of my house. Then they make a nest in my loft and their babies squawk all night long and keep us awake. And we get bitten by bird mites that come down into the house. I've got two nests up there are the moment. I normally wait until the young have left the nest then block up the holes. But I can never get the smell out of the loft. They keep coming back and no matter what I do, I can't get seem to keep them out.

Phil,

Surely the Starlings Jerry has are different from ours, which certainly can not be tamed. :confused:

The birds we have must be of UK origin, but are not considered a nuisance here. They are a worthwhile asset and farmers install nesting boxes on fences for them, so as to take advantage of their taste for grass grubs. :)

Cheers, Trevor.

SomethingElse 05-25-2007 07:27 PM

First time looking at this thread i was waiting for someone to post a picture of a middle finger:D .

ensteele 05-25-2007 07:57 PM

I was looking for some girls. :rolleyes: :o :p :p

svxistentialist 05-25-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I was looking for some girls. :rolleyes: :o :p :p

Starlets, Earl, starlets!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

subi-crosser 05-26-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
Phil,

Surely the Starlings Jerry has are different from ours, which certainly can not be tamed. :confused:

The birds we have must be of UK origin, but are not considered a nuisance here. They are a worthwhile asset and farmers install nesting boxes on fences for them, so as to take advantage of their taste for grass grubs. :)

Cheers, Trevor.

My back yard has bird feeders, nesting boxes and shelters for all kinds of birds. The noises that they make are a lot more pleasant than the ones the drunk or stoned neighbors make at 2 AM.
We have rescued 1 Starling from a home improvement project and kidnapped two. I had a few exotic birds. They had bad attitudes and bit.

This little guy likes people. He's less bother than most kinds of birds and funny to watch. I take him to the garage with me when I'm working with the door closed. When he gets tired, he returns to his cage and takes a nap.

Since we change the papers everyday, there is no odor. I would rather have one in a cage than in my eves, though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpYHYrMnffchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQCH...related&search

NAAA!!! It could NEVER happen, or COULD it?

subi-crosser 05-30-2007 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I love Starlings!!! :)

They taste just like chicken. :rolleyes: :o :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQXL...elated&search=