The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is this on my svx? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42246)

subbieatnz 12-09-2007 03:45 AM

What is this on my svx?

just wondering what this is? its under my dash on the passangers side
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture5965.jpg

thanxs:)

svxistentialist 12-09-2007 05:00 AM

That's part of the heater matrix.

I'm not entirely familiar with the internals but I think that is what is called the evapourator assembly. Inside the plastic box is a radiator type matrix. I'd imagine it is enclosed in plastic so that condensation is not allowed to drip into the car.

If you look at the codes and writing on it you will see the word "Zexel". Zexel is the name of the company that makes the air conditioning unit for the SVX.

Joe:)

subbieatnz 12-09-2007 10:16 PM

is the raditor for the heater or the air con? i no longer got air con on my svx and i just wana get rid off all the uneeded air con stuff while still keeping working heater :)

subbieatnz 12-10-2007 01:34 AM

Whats This LIL thingy

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture5975.jpg
wats this? its on drivers side and its in the corner of the dashboard?

subaru 12-10-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 514263)
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture5975.jpg
wats this? its on drivers side and its in the corner of the dashboard?

Solar sensor for the auto temp
Should not be covered

Rinus

svxistentialist 12-10-2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 514240)
is the raditor for the heater or the air con? i no longer got air con on my svx and i just wana get rid off all the uneeded air con stuff while still keeping working heater :)

That's the cooler, so far as I know. Possibly it works in reverse as a Heater in winter. In any case I don't think you can take it out of the equation, but maybe? I don't know a lot about aircon.

svxistentialist 12-10-2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru (Post 514264)
Solar sensor for the auto temp
Should not be covered

Rinus

As Rinus says. You don't need the sunload sensor if the aircon is not working, but I'm presuming you have retained the aircon controller in the dash. So keeping this little lad in place will keep the computer happy.

:)

Nomake Wan 12-10-2007 10:01 AM

If that's for the cooler, then where's the heater core? :confused:

svxual 12-11-2007 03:56 AM

my manual says that the little sensors on the dash by window is for my auto headlights??

subbieatnz 12-11-2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxual (Post 514588)
my manual says that the little sensors on the dash by window is for my auto headlights??

my parts svx has auto headlights

svxistentialist 12-11-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxual (Post 514588)

Well just to avoid confusion, not all cars came with auto headlights. The Version L in Japan did, and it looks like NZ got them also, unless by coincidence the two cars we are discussing here are ex-Japan imported second hand cars.

On the right hand side of the dashboard near the screen is the sunload sensor for the air conditioning. As all SVXs had aircon, then all cars will have this.

On cars fitted with auto headlights, on the left hand side of the dashboard, same place, near the screen, is another photo sensor. This is to control the lights. The two UK cars I have wear a blank plastic plug in the hole at this location.

[The positions may be reversed for left hand drive cars, I don't know. Rinus, which side is the sunload sensor on your car??]

SubaRyu 12-12-2007 02:02 PM

The thing behind the glovebox looks like the evaporator core for the AC.. If the air from vents smells like feet that's where the smell come from. Years of mold, dust, are probably in there and that's not a good thing to inhale... I removed the blower fan that sits next to it, cleaned it out, and for the evaporator I remove the sensor and spray the cleaner from that hole. You'll see "brown" liquid coming out from the drain pipe.....that's so nasty! If you do the cleaning, don't forget to place some tray or something to catch that liquid..

The thing on the dashboard...I'm not sure. Temp sensor?

svxman07 12-12-2007 02:49 PM

sensor

i have a 94 ls and i dont have auto headlight but i have that sensor on the drivers side of the dash..?

NikFu S. 12-12-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaRyu (Post 514856)
The thing behind the glovebox looks like the evaporator core for the AC.. If the air from vents smells like feet that's where the smell come from. Years of mold, dust, are probably in there and that's not a good thing to inhale... I removed the blower fan that sits next to it, cleaned it out, and for the evaporator I remove the sensor and spray the cleaner from that hole. You'll see "brown" liquid coming out from the drain pipe.....that's so nasty! If you do the cleaning, don't forget to place some tray or something to catch that liquid..

You are correct. I have a hole on the opposite side of my firewall that used to connect an A/C line.
I always wondered where it went. Now I'm wondering how much that thing weighs. :D

svxistentialist 12-12-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxman07 (Post 514871)
i have a 94 ls and i dont have auto headlight but i have that sensor on the drivers side of the dash..?

Well if that's the case then the LHD cars have the sunload sensor on the lhs, the driver's side.

On RHD cars the sunload sensor is on the right side of the dash.

Makes sense when you think about it, mirror image for the wiring.

Joe