The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replace Timing Belt Myself? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31159)

svxthc 01-26-2006 07:39 PM

Replace Timing Belt Myself?

Do you guys I could figure out and replace the timing belt myself with an uncle who's never worked on a subaru before? I'm 16 and have absolutely no mechanical credentials. The alternative is to let the Subaru Dealer do it for $450. What do you think I should do as this is general maitenance and not under the extended warranty? I'd like to learn how to do it. How long would it take and is it worth it do to yourself? :confused:

huck369 01-26-2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxthc
Do you guys I could figure out and replace the timing belt myself with an uncle who's never worked on a subaru before? I'm 16 and have absolutely no mechanical credentials. The alternative is to let the Subaru Dealer do it for $450. What do you think I should do as this is general maitenance and not under the extended warranty? I'd like to learn how to do it. How long would it take and is it worth it do to yourself? :confused:

The T-belt is actually pretty easy on the SVX, if you have a manual (there is one on-line I believe) and you or your uncle has ANY mechanical apptitude, it won't be bad.

Should take about 2-3 hours for a beginer....I'm sure there are a few write-up on here for the process too..

xturboexpress 01-26-2006 07:57 PM

Its actualy a little tuff... I think atleast. And I've done a couple NA to turbo supra 7M swaps =)

Only problem for me was the gears, I couldn't get them to line back up... while putting the new belt on one got off a tooth or 2 and I coulld never get it back. If it was straight the other was off and vice versa. There is some special tool that holds them both, I def wouldn't do it without that tool.

svxthc 01-26-2006 07:58 PM

What tools will I need? Vise?

huck369 01-27-2006 05:25 AM

Quote:

What tools will I need? Vise?

Yes, you'll need a vise to compress the t-belt tensioner, other than that you'll just need basic tools.

Single Belt Subaru's are super easy as far as tiiming belts go, the belt comes with paint marks on it, that line up with dots on all the pulleys, so it's hard to mess up the timing on one.

The hardest thing is getting the crank bolt lose, but a breaker bar and a piece of pipe will fix that.

I can do one in under an hour.

dcarrb 01-27-2006 06:15 AM

I replaced a timing belt.

Once.

A bit of wisdom from one of the old Dirty Harry movies: "A man's gotta know his limitations." I know that my marginal technical aptitude greatly exceeds my dreadful mechanical skills, and that sometimes, paying a pro is money well spent.

That said, you can do it, and it will be a good exercise for you.

dcb

immortal_suby 01-27-2006 08:23 AM

you can do it - here is a great how-to that covers it. As long as you are in there it would be a good idea to change the crank seal.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/howto/belt/belt.html

mbtoloczko 01-27-2006 08:55 AM

I agree with the others that its not that difficult. I've also got a how-to in my locker that also includes instructions for replacing the water pump and front engine seals.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...czko/31558.pdf

Sybaris 01-27-2006 09:22 AM

What's more important when considering belt replacement, mileage or age?

I still have the original belt and just went over 45k but the belt is probably 10 years old.

huck369 01-27-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaris
What's more important when considering belt replacement, mileage or age?

I still have the original belt and just went over 45k but the belt is probably 10 years old.

If you want to make sure it's a reliable car, you might want to change it, as it's 10 years old....it won't hurt the motor if it breaks...but it will leave you stranded till it's replaced.....:eek:

svxthc 01-27-2006 11:40 AM

What are the prerequisites to changing the timing belt? Ie. (Water Pump, seals, crank seal,...?) How much is a water pump and everything else to do the major maitenance due at 75k. What tools total will I need to buy?

SubaSteevo 01-27-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

What are the prerequisites to changing the timing belt? Ie. (Water Pump, seals, crank seal,...?) How much is a water pump and everything else to do the major maitenance due at 75k. What tools total will I need to buy?

You should change the water pump, cam, and crank seals while you're in there. It's not difficult at all, but when I did it I was unable to get the cam and crank spockets off to change the seals. It difficult to get the water pump out without removing the sprockets and the rear cover, but it can be done. Water pump was around $75 if I remember.

Breaker bar and a large socket are the only unusual tools you may need, as I understand, the seals can be inserted with some PVC piping.

Overal it wasn't hard, just time consuming

Earthworm 01-27-2006 01:21 PM

I took a chance and didn't change the water pump when I changed the timing belt. I did change the cam seals as they were leaking.

Water pump is still fine.

huck369 01-27-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I took a chance and didn't change the water pump when I changed the timing belt. I did change the cam seals as they were leaking.

Water pump is still fine.

At 75k, I wouldn't change the water pump, as it should be good till the next belt change.

The difficulty goes up some if you're doing the seals, as you have to remove the cam sprockets, but if you remember to loosen them while the old belt is still on it, it's not too bad.

mbtoloczko 01-27-2006 02:42 PM

I really like the way that svxfiles loosens up the crank pulley and cam bolts. He uses a 14-18" long breaker bar and whacks it with a 2-4 lb hammer. It does the same thing as an impact wrench. It worked great for me. Puts much less stress on the crank and cams compared to leaning on a long breaker bar.