The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm snowed in...no wait, I have a Subaru (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8846)

SVXdriver_007 02-17-2003 06:30 PM

I'm snowed in...no wait, I have a Subaru

I got put up in a hotel room for the day so I would be able to make it to work. When I got out to my Legacy there was at least a 3 foot drift on the passanger side, I could just see the tail lights and the plow had blocked in my drivers side pretty nicely.
I reached the door handle yanked the door open enough for me to climb in, and started the car up. Got out of the car scraped the back window and enough of the sides to see then got back into the car. Buckled up put it in reverse and pulled right out of the parking space. I don't think the tires even spun.
I pulled up at the pickup/dropoff area and went inside to retrieve my bag when a guy with a shovel came up and thanked me for making him 10 bucks. Apparently he had bet the other guy shoveling with him that I'd have no trouble getting out of my space.
On the way to work I saw an SUV that had hit a guard rail and completly flipped...I drove the speed limit and never once felt the car get loose.

CigarJohnny 02-17-2003 06:31 PM

Cool story :cool:

CigarJohnny 02-17-2003 06:32 PM

Did he at least give you $5 for your part in the whole thing or was he an ingrate?? :D

Tim 02-17-2003 06:32 PM

Awesome story :)....

Is a drift a pile of snow blown by the wind?

CigarJohnny 02-17-2003 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
Awesome story :)....

Is a drift a pile of snow blown by the wind?

Yes it is, but sometimes a drift can be like a concrete wall. When the snow crystals are blown in on eachother they get compacted and aligned very tightly together. They can suck you right in and get you stuck in a hurry if you are not careful.

slipgx33 02-17-2003 06:38 PM

nice, my legacy pulled right through the snow as well :)

SVXdriver_007 02-17-2003 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Did he at least give you $5 for your part in the whole thing or was he an ingrate?? :D
No he didn't but for the work he was doing I would have felt bad taking it. Part of their job for the day was to help dig out the people staying there who couldn't get out. I guess when they saw me walk out they were gonna come over and start shoveling when he noticed I had a Subaru, and bet the other guy I'd make it out with no problems. According to him it was only myself and one other person in a Jeep that they didn't have to dig out.

Alcyone SVX LSL 02-17-2003 08:10 PM

Cool stuff... I had to work to get my car out but that was ice and a FWD car...but to drive on an inch of ice was a good experience in that car.

Subafreak 02-17-2003 08:43 PM

I came home to at least 11" in my driveway and I made it up. That was in the Loyal thoe. I know my Legacy would not have made it (half worn allseasons) and I had no place to shovel all the snow, so I think the SVX is buried till spring.

SSSVX 02-18-2003 02:19 AM

your story sounds very cool.....but i was stuck in snow really bad on sunday nite...:cool:

SVXdriver_007 02-18-2003 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SSSVX
your story sounds very cool.....but i was stuck in snow really bad on sunday nite...:cool:
Operator error :D

Aredubjay 02-18-2003 09:26 AM

I went to take my usual route home, out of the office parking lot yesterday, and found two side roads that had not even been touched by a plow. Still virgin 6 inches of snow/ice combo. She got a little "fishtaily" but, had no problems pushing through the stuff (can you say adreneline rush?). The problem came when I hit the clear highway. As soon as I hit 60MPH, I thought my teeth would rattle out of my head. The front end was shaking like crazy. I thought, surely, that I'd damaged some front end components. Then, I remembered (via my years with this network), a similar experience, from another member. I pulled over at a gas station and dug the snow/ice out of the rims. Smooth sailin' from then on. Amazing, how delicately balanced these cars are. :D:D

svx_commuter 02-18-2003 09:36 AM

I get ice in my rims on days when it snows and I drive to work. Then it get warm and all the ice n snow slides to the bottom of the rim. Then it gets cold and freezes to the rim. Now I check the rims before I go home. Buckets of hot water works great. :cool:

I went sliding down a hill the other night in the SVX. I could not stop for about 20 feet but then slowed and the tires gripped in, tapping the brake fastly all the way, wondering if I would slide into the parked cars at the bottom. Heart pounding like crazy. :eek:

SSSVX 02-19-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXdriver_007

Operator error :D

i think i've quite well-trained myself enuf....:D after this snow storm, i think there's the limit of the svx.....:p

Landshark 02-19-2003 01:52 PM

i got stuck pulling out of my garage on Monday- the snow was higher than the SVX's clearance was! after i shoveled a little "off the top", the AWD and snow tires had no problem. :)