The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Steering fix - Why did this work? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54967)

bcpianoman 07-05-2010 11:27 AM

Power Steering fix - Why did this work?

For a while now I’ve had problems with my power steering cutting in and out at low speed when the car is cold. When it was happening I could hear the serpentine belt chirping too. I’ve changed the “o” ring at the power steering pump and adjusted and readjusted the tension on the serpentine belt. I was beginning to think I’d have to change out the idler pulley or maybe the pump itself. I knew it wasn’t the alternator pulley because I’d had to change the alternator when I was having this problem and that didn’t help either.

While I was trying to figure this out a neighbour dropped by for a beer. He suggested I spray the pulley with tire cleaner with the car running. I thought he was nuts – that that would only reduce friction and compound the problem. But it worked! The problem was gone 30 seconds after I sprayed the pulley with a couple of shots of Wet’n’Black tire cleaner. Go figure. I just hope the fix lasts.

Hocrest 07-05-2010 11:31 AM

Re: Power Steering fix - Why did this work?

It's an old belt and that stuff softened the rubber?

When was the belt changed last?

bcpianoman 07-05-2010 11:44 AM

The belt is only two years old with less than 15,000 miles on it.

bcpianoman 07-05-2010 11:55 AM

Ooops - wrong car. It was my son's SVX that I changed the serpentine belt a couple of years ago - not mine. My mistake.

The belt in my car came with the car when I bought it in 2004 so it could be quite old. It looks in good shape though.

Crazy_pilot 07-05-2010 12:31 PM

Belts can look good but still have rubber that's completely dried out. My friend's Buick was chirping constantly, new supercharger belt solved the problem.

ensteele 07-05-2010 03:32 PM

You should have just drank your friends beer and you wouldn't have cared. :lol: Oh, you got it fixed now. :)

I have had belts screech and make all kinds of noise and they looked fine. When I finally gave up and replace them, the noise went away. The tire stuff may have just waxed the metal so it wouldn't make noise any more. :confused:

Trevor 07-05-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 651802)
You should have just drank your friends beer and you wouldn't have cared. :lol: Oh, you got it fixed now. :)

I have had belts screech and make all kinds of noise and they looked fine. When I finally gave up and replace them, the noise went away. The tire stuff may have just waxed the metal so it wouldn't make noise any more. :confused:

The belt was probably coated with some form of hard shiny deposit, which was reducing normal friction and causing it to slip, in spite of the tension being normal. Tyre cleaners are aggressive dirt removers but do not damage rubber. Obviously the friend had experience with this working before. :)

This could be tip worthy of the how to section. ;)

ensteele 07-05-2010 04:15 PM

I will figure out how I can post it there so members will get the benifit of this fix. :D

kwren 07-05-2010 04:57 PM

Beautiful addition to our how-to...

I frequently ask my wife, is the whole world crazy or is it just me... I would simply pay a few bucks and get a new belt that I could depend on, but I am a coward... afraid I might get out on the road and have the belt break and loss of steering control could even cause someone to be killed...

My wife usually says "it is just you":lol:

Keith:cool:

lhopp77 07-05-2010 09:34 PM

Of course there is a spray product called "belt dressing" that does the same thing.

Lee

kwren 07-05-2010 11:23 PM

Again...
Belt dressing is not intended for use on planet earth!

bcpianoman 07-06-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 651831)
Of course there is a spray product called "belt dressing" that does the same thing.

Lee

If belt dressing is the same stuff, then I probably shouldn't have used it. I googled "belt dressing" and found many complaints about it. For example:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/...?topic=60345.0

I'll drive it for a while as is and report back.

Trevor 07-06-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 651809)

I frequently ask my wife, is the whole world crazy or is it just me... I would simply pay a few bucks and get a new belt that I could depend on, but I am a coward... afraid I might get out on the road and have the belt break and loss of steering control could even cause someone to be killed...

Your wife will tell you while saying "it is just you", that a near new belt can become contaminated and slip. Also that it can be expected that members viewing the how to section, will have as many brains as your she has and will not expect a squirt of cleaner to extend the life of an old worn belt.:)

She will also tell you that a broken belt is not going to cause a catastrophe and she could cope. When the car is on the move, loss of power assist is nothing like that experienced when near stationery and parking.;)

kinz 07-06-2010 12:18 AM

Ill have to try this out. Have a similar problem. Belt squeeks for a few minutes on startup then exibites op's problem. New belt made no difference for me.
Thanks for sharing.

SoCal LS-L 07-06-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 651809)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 651645)
Belt conditioner is not for planet earth:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 651837)
Again...
Belt dressing is not intended for use on planet earth!

You never cease to puzzle me Keith..... what event transpired doth thou become so fiercely a vocal opponent of belt conditioner ?