The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to find a belt for no A/C, no PS (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35374)

jsteele22 09-28-2006 01:52 PM

How to find a belt for no A/C, no PS

Hi All,

I just bought a EG33 for a project. I won't need an A/C compressor or PS pump. So basically, I want a belt that runs over the alternator, crank pulley, and tensioner. Will this work ? (Must be a ton of sandrails set up like this...) And if so, what belt do I need ? My bet is that there's a perfect part sitting at my corner parts store, and that there's no way they'd ever know unless I give them a bogus year/make/model or a specific part number. Call me cynical.

TIA for the help. I'm sure I'll have more Q's soon...

Hose92SVX 09-28-2006 06:01 PM

Take an old belt that fit's the grooves, cut it, re-wrap on the pulleys that you are going to use and measure it. You can also just use a string but the measurements normally come up smaller then you will end up useing becuase the string rides to deep in the grooves. On my semi, I use different belts then it normally uses so that's what I had to do. As far as putting tension on the belt you, I think you should be able to use the same idler pulley on the lower left hand side (looking at the motor from the front). I would buy several belts that are close to your measurements from the auto store so you don't have to keep going back if your measurements aren't perfect. Just make sure the auto store will refund you on the ones you won't end up needing. Good luck.

subeman90 09-29-2006 08:41 AM

huck should be able to tell you....he has this setup on his svxt6. hopefully he sees this topic

huck369 09-29-2006 09:46 AM

a 28 ½” 4 groove belt is what I'm using on FrankenWedge...

I don't have the part number handy, but it just barely fits on...almost too tight, but they didn't have a 29" in stock.

Also I couldn't find a 5 rib belt that length, but considering you're only turning the alternator, a 4 rib is fine.

jsteele22 09-29-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
a 28 ½” 4 groove belt is what I'm using on FrankenWedge...

I don't have the part number handy, but it just barely fits on...almost too tight, but they didn't have a 29" in stock.

Also I couldn't find a 5 rib belt that length, but considering you're only turning the alternator, a 4 rib is fine.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks to all.

Jeff

huck369 09-29-2006 10:05 AM

Glad I could help:D

Beav 10-01-2006 04:46 PM

For future reference: cut one end of the belt. Set the tensioner between 1/3 to 1/2 travel. Install the belt and trim the ends until they touch with some tension applied. Take to the parts store and use belt gauge while using vise-grips to keep the ends together.