The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Debadging your car... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9158)

Tim 03-05-2003 06:12 PM

Debadging your car...

Hey all...

I'm looking to debadge my car, such as somehow removing the "subaru svx" logo in the back and taking them off the rims.
I figure I might as well confuse people by not letting anyone see the model, unless they really know what it is :)
The front subaru badge I would probably leave until i mysteriously get money for a JDM badge.

Have any of you done it?

petesvx2 03-05-2003 06:38 PM

I think ( not positive ) that the logo on the rear is actually integrated with the panel between the brake lights , the reverse lights are on that panel. You should think about investing in the JDM hood badge and the rear light assembly that says "Alcyone SVX" on it.

Tim 03-05-2003 06:44 PM

Is it possible to lightly sand it off maybe?

petesvx2 03-05-2003 06:49 PM

I have never taken mine off so I wouldnt know...a few people here have the Alcyone rear panel, so maybe they'll spot this thread. Alcyone would confuse more people than just a blank thing though:)

Seraph 03-05-2003 07:15 PM

Been there done that...

Takeing the logo off from the center combo light panel takes a ton of time and 4 hands. You will need 2 people to heat it up using 2 different heat guns while slowing opening it up.

You will find that subaru is written on a plastic sheet. You can rub it off. I myself only have the word SVX at the back.

L
ps. come one guys, when it comes to lights, doug and I have opened them at one time or another. One of these days, I am going to take the whole car apart and rebuild it from scratch.

Tim 03-05-2003 07:30 PM

Interesting... If only there was a how-to for that hehe. Sounds like too much work for my liking.

Thanks for the info but it seems to be too much work for a 17 year old hehe :). I think I'll let people know what it is.

petesvx2 03-05-2003 07:36 PM

Would it be possible to have the Subaru SVX logo turned into a light that lights up with the parking lights? and corner lights?

Seraph 03-05-2003 07:43 PM

Nope. Many had that idea before... There is no room at all... Sorry.

I will do a how to when/if I win that bid for my replacement. Mine's in a bad shape from the R&D + the camera work.

L

Tim 03-05-2003 07:54 PM

Awesome, I cant wait. :)

Is there potential risk of the glue not sticking again and coming apart when you are driving?

petesvx2 03-05-2003 07:58 PM

If i had the funds i would invest in all the JDM badging.

Seraph 03-05-2003 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
Awesome, I cant wait. :)

Is there potential risk of the glue not sticking again and coming apart when you are driving?

No not at all since you have to re-heat the gunk to re-seal it. I have taken it apart more than 20 times and still works fine. Both in the sun and in the freezing cold.

L

ps. How is the condition of your tail light? I could do the Alcyone SVX switch for a fee. You will miss it for about a week. Send it in on Tuesday using priority mail, do it over the weekend, send it back out on Monday and get it by Wed?

Tim 03-05-2003 08:19 PM

It looks new to tell you the truth. At the moment I am trying to save to replace my wheel bearing and housing so I really didn't want to spend money on JDM parts until I get that fixed. I'm afraid of driving with them too long ever since I've heard stories about people's bearings exploding and seizing.

Thats why i was seeing if I could scrape off the subaru svx badge as my cost efficient mod :)

kuoh 03-05-2003 08:30 PM

Don't forget about the tiny nails holding the halves together.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Takeing the logo off from the center combo light panel takes a ton of time and 4 hands. You will need 2 people to heat it up using 2 different heat guns while slowing opening it up.

Seraph 03-05-2003 08:30 PM

Yeah take care of the bearing. I had to replace the whole corner.

L

mattski 03-06-2003 06:38 AM

One very inexpensive option is to cover it with a decal. Subaru makes one for the 95 Legacy LS which I once owned which is the right size. It says "AWD ABS" and is stuck to the rear window of the Legacy. The cost is <$20.

The center caps can be modified by filling in the recessed "Subaru" and painting over.

Matt