The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Water in my taillight? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28153)

Jayahalasi 08-30-2005 01:07 PM

Water in my taillight?

Condensation keeps building up in my passengerside tail light. Anyone have this happen before? any thoughts?

ensteele 08-30-2005 01:13 PM

You can do a search to find out that this is a very comon problem. The gaskets that are on the back lights leak a little and the condensation occurs. Some have drilled holes in the lights and say that this solves the problem. I don't want to do that, so I swap the gaskets from left to right or get new ones. When you replace them, be careful not to over tighten them. If you do, they seem to leak shortly after replacing them. Good luck. :)

Earthworm 08-30-2005 01:19 PM

I have a way to clear them up that doesn't involve drilling or damaging the lenses in any way. I still have to do a writeup for the SVXipedia. I tested this on one lense and it worked great so when I do the other lense I will do the writeup.

It basically involves using silicone between the lense and the gasket then grease between the gasket and the body.

ensteele 08-30-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
It basically involves using silicone between the lense and the gasket then grease between the gasket and the body.

When I saw silicone I thought of - oh, never mind. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

oab_au 08-30-2005 05:21 PM

Tail light condensation.

I had this happen to mine, does seem to be a common thing. I found that the water was not in the light itself, but in between the two layers of the lens. I pulled the light out. Sealed the bulb hole, chilled the unit in the fridg. and submerged the unit in hot water. Found bubbles coming from the top section of the two layers.

It would appear that the two layers were not sealed at the top, so that, when the car was washed, cooling the light sucked water into the space, between them.

My fix was to run Super glue along the joint, between the two layers. The glue sealed the joint. That was four years ago, no condensation since. :)

Harvey. ;)

Jayahalasi 08-31-2005 10:39 AM

I'll have to check into that I have super glue on me right now...

pnyklr 10-28-2005 12:54 PM

I was checking the archives....

Stupid me bought so far a new set of side markers ... condensation still

and a new center light (only put it on today time will tell)

Are those rubber gaskets available anyplace?

PS I tried switching the ones on my taillights but mine are so beat up it didnt work

Earthworm 10-28-2005 01:08 PM

Did you try my solution posted above?

pnyklr 10-28-2005 01:14 PM

ya thats next I didnt read before I re-installed the car is going to sit for a few days (as usual) since I am going away for the weekend to PA (I never take it I take the Tbird) so I'll see on the center light then

next week one day I'll try your method

What grease and what silicone did you use (I have to go out and buy it)

Earthworm 10-28-2005 01:17 PM

Not sure if it makes a difference but I used black silicone and lithium grease.

svxcuseme 10-28-2005 03:29 PM

Agree with Eworm

100% silicone, from any hardware srote, will make a water tight seal. Hot tub manufacturers use 100% silicone to seal everything in there tubs (everything underwater). It will definately fix your tail lights. :)

pnyklr 11-03-2005 03:13 PM

I heated them up in the oven and then separated them, dried them and re siliconed them

wish me luck

Bipa 11-03-2005 05:10 PM

We have had the same problem with condensation in our tail lights ever since we bought the car. The mechanic always told me not to worry about it, but I must admit it has been bugging me. I wonder what Hubby will think when I tell him I want to get some silicone? :p

But first I gotta find out what silicone is called in German :eek:

(ask SilverSpear why I'm now posting in tech area :p ) http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/31041.gif

pnyklr 11-03-2005 08:17 PM

oh ya i forgot I found change ( 37 cents) and water inside the rear 1/4

pnyklr 11-10-2005 07:10 PM

condensation is back in drivers taillight and now on pass marker light :mad: