The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   lucas tranny juice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21213)

maroon menace 09-08-2004 06:38 PM

lucas tranny juice

I use the stuff on my 95 jeep grand cherokee with 208,000 miles on the clock and it keeps the tranny from slipping between 1st and 2nd. I'll swear by the stuff.

angrydan 09-09-2004 09:02 PM

Where do you get it? How often do you add it to your Trans fluid?

maroon menace 09-10-2004 08:50 AM

lucas tranny juice

this is form my jeep with 208,000 miles. I havent tried it in my svx yet because the top gears are already gone.

I get it at a local autoparts store. I drained the transmission and replaced the filter. I put the bottle of Lucas in first and then filled the tranny to the proper level. I put some in every few months.
The funny thing is every one said don't drain the old fluid. they claim it is full of disk fiber and junk that helps the worn transmission. I thought that was a bit odd. The filter was almost unpassable wheni took it out.
Anyway, the jeep tranny always slipped a bit in the winter for the first couple of upshifts. after I started with the lucas stuff I rarely have that problem.

Good luck

svx_commuter 09-10-2004 12:36 PM

I have used this in my 91 Legacy and it seems to be helping. Still to early to tell. The legacy doesn't slip but it stalls when shifting into gear. The torque converter locks up for some reason. It seems to work fine after it warms up. I think something is amiss with the "control valve".

I warm up the additive in hot water for an hour before I pour it in. This decreases the pour time and helps it mix faster with the AFT.

maroon menace 09-11-2004 12:10 PM

warm the stuff. I like that idea. It pours like maple syrup in February.

n00b on demand 09-12-2004 08:06 AM

i went to 4 stores and every single one was out of it! :mad:

majeskyb 09-12-2004 10:28 AM

Re: lucas tranny juice

Quote:

Originally posted by maroon menace
The funny thing is every one said don't drain the old fluid. they claim it is full of disk fiber and junk that helps the worn transmission. I thought that was a bit odd.
The reason people say that is because atf is a detergent. On older transmissions, the seals and gaskets start to get brittle, and replacing the fluid without changing the gaskets an cause leaks. From what I know, that's the reason that people say to leave the old fluid in. If anyone knows more about this than I do, please correct me where i'm a little vague or wrong

ensteele 09-12-2004 11:02 AM

I am not a tranny expert. There are several of the members around here that pulled the pan and replaced the filter. The kits that you can get from NAPA will have a gasket with the kit. In many cases, the pan filter was partially plugged and it was a very good idea to change it. After about 100 miles, you should re torque the pan bolts. They are usually very loose. I use Duralube for the transmission and it seems to be very similar to the Lucas stuff. I have seen transmissions that seemed shot recover and go many miles after it was added. :)