The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sring rate on front struts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19319)

huck369 06-16-2004 06:54 AM

Sring rate on front struts?

Would someone with the FSM's look up the stock spring rates in pounds per inch for the front struts for me.
TIA

mbtoloczko 06-16-2004 07:56 AM

140 lbs/in. The rears are 110 lbs/in.

huck369 06-16-2004 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
WOW, is that all....the XT6 has 175 lbs/in.....would've thought the SVX would have heavier ones, since it weighs more....

Thanks;)

mbtoloczko 06-16-2004 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369

WOW, is that all....the XT6 has 175 lbs/in.....would've thought the SVX would have heavier ones, since it weighs more....

Thanks;)

Yep, as Porter said, the stock spring rate is criminally soft.

mohrds 06-16-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Yep, as Porter said, the stock spring rate is criminally soft.

But it gives it such a luxurious ride.

I guess its all about making sacrifices.

Doug

Chiketkd 06-16-2004 09:48 AM

That stock spring rate is kinda weak... ;)

-Chike
Quote:

SVXRide 06-16-2004 09:58 AM

and just look, the 30 lbs/in difference gives you a built-in understeer condition. Mychailo - what's the relationship between sway bar rate and coil spring rate (i.e. how much will increasing the sway bar rate contributes to the overall spring rate at the wheel) -- is it just a linear relationship?
-Bill

mbtoloczko 06-16-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
and just look, the 30 lbs/in difference gives you a built-in understeer condition. Mychailo - what's the relationship between sway bar rate and coil spring rate (i.e. how much will increasing the sway bar rate contributes to the overall spring rate at the wheel) -- is it just a linear relationship?
-Bill

On the front suspension, the swaybar attaches directly to the strut body, so the rate of the bar adds directly to the rate of the strut spring. On the rear suspension, the swaybar attaches to the hub, so a coefficient on the swaybar rate may be necessary when adding the swaybar rate and the spring rate. But because the strut is also bolted to the hub, my guess is that the coefficient is very close to 1.

SVXRide 06-16-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

On the front suspension, the swaybar attaches directly to the strut body, so the rate of the bar adds directly to the rate of the strut spring. On the rear suspension, the swaybar attaches to the hub, so a coefficient on the swaybar rate may be necessary when adding the swaybar rate and the spring rate. But because the strut is also bolted to the hub, my guess is that the coefficient is very close to 1.

So the 19mm rear bar basically balances out the front and rear spring rates....interesting....
-Bill

mbtoloczko 06-16-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide

So the 19mm rear bar basically balances out the front and rear spring rates....interesting....
-Bill

Starting to get OT here, but depending on what is meant by bar rate, what you say could be wrong. When I say the 19 mm bar has a rate of around 125 lbs/in, I mean that if one arm is held stationary, it will take 125 lbs to move the other arm through 1" of motion at the link point. When the car is leaning in a corner, if the outside suspension compresses by the same amount that the inside extends, then a rate of 250 lbs/in will add to the outside suspension and a rate of 250 lbs/in will subtract on the inside.

SVXRide 06-16-2004 01:08 PM

OT? OT? who, me?:D

Agree on the add/subtract aspect of the bar when leaning in a turn. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
-Bill